T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waddup everyone who's on this forum. I came here, to try and get a better feel for what i need to know to start my own clothing brand.

To begin, let me just say that im 16, and im going to be very serious about this, and my friend and i are both working on this brand. We have been working on this brand for more than a year right now. What we have been doing was making tall tees(the hype in freestyle skiing) and we would do cut and sew with everything. Now we are going to create a brand that will be proactive with whats happening. we are hoping to create a brand that is like burberry, quality. Either that, or we are going to be creating a t shirt and hoodie line first.

we want to have our brand proactive with the trends happening. We want to create the trends, not follow them. But, starting out from nothing, we are going to have to be reactive with the trends, and once we gain popularity and customers, we will start focusing on being proactive and having other brands, follow our trends.

we are going to be going into this with about $2000 dollars. what we need to figure out is:
!.) a company that would make tees for us(tagless) that are really good quality, but are also pretty cheap. We would not like to cheap out on this. If we go with tees, we want good quality, because bad quality wont sell. We want to be known for having quality clothing, for a pretty affordable price, but if we go in the direction of burberry style clothing, then a little bit higher of a price.

2.)marketing: a very important of getting our brand noticed, would be marketing. I know people in the music industry, and would have them be able to promote our brand. We would go to skate shops locally, school, etc. and try and get our brand noticed. Once we'd get money, we'd create a .com site to help out with promo.

3.)Planning: We are not going into this without any planning. We want to do our research, before we start anything. For this, we would need some tips on(ie: websites, who to speak to, etc.) we will have goals, and we will strive for those goals, so in other words, we are not going into this without having some expectations.

4.)Legal: i believe that this will be our greatest problem. We are both 16 and getting legal issues, and things of such figured out, could be our greatest problem. I want to know, what do i need to get filled out, patents, copyrights, etc? what would i need to make this legal?

so, if anyone would like to help me out with this, please leave a comment, numbered 1,2,3, or 4(thats if you want to comment on the issue i stated). if you have any other advise, such as what else we'd need to start this, please comment. also, if you have a link to some helpful threads, please post them..im new to this haha.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OK... lets get serious...

With $2K you cannot realistically think that you can emulate a brand/company valued (in 2007 by Business Week Magazine) over at 3 BILLION Dollars. They have been operating for 40 years! They spend more money than you have on toilet paper every day.

OK, I get it.. You admire this brand (Burberry) and their perceived quality and that you have identified a niche market that you believe you can develop a business selling apparel to freestyle skiers.

At a quick glance (to me) the flaw in your global domination plan is your reliance on 3rd party manufacturing and the requirement that you get "good quality" but also "pretty cheap". If this were possible don't you think that everyone would be doing it?? You also say that "bad quality will not sell"... Really? Bad quality outsells good quality 50 to 1! Walmart is the biggest company in the world. They got that way by selling cheap stuff at a cheap price. People definitely buy bad quality.

The fact is that your entire capital ($2000) probably is not enough for even a single minimum order from a cut & sew shop... especially for quality fabrics and construcion.

My advice would be to take your $2000 and spend it trying to raise more money: Write a business plan, make a website, build a marketing plan, produce a couple designs and samples, and then show them to people/relatives that may be willing to invest in your grand adventure. Selling is the key. Make something that people like and they can't get anywhere else except from you.

Write a letter to THIS PERSON and ask here how she would advise someone in your position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, burberry is a very big company, but im not trying to get as big as them. what im trying to do, is keep it local, and give all of this some time. im not expecting my brand to blow up, like some do. with the cheap material issue; if i were to do the burberry/nicer clothing style, then quality is of the importance. On that matter your cant deny. When i go shopping, one thing i always look at is the quality of what i buy. me owning a lot of burberry, i know how better quality lasts longer and is more durable. i have a louis vuitton belt. i payed 420 dollars for it, and it has yet to show any signs of wear and tear, and stretching, and ive had it for a while. compare that to any 100 or 50 dollar belt(that is supposedly really good quality) and the cheap ones stand no chance.

i will not target my customers as cheaper, walmart buying, because by any chance i would not like to see my brand be in walmart. even though id make a lot more money, id much rather have less money, and have clothing with a higher rep and all. As i stated with the 2k. thats what we have between ourselves(me and my friend) but, if i get this one job at a golf resort in south carolina, i could make 18k over the summer, just caddying. that may seem unbelievable, but those are the figures i may be looking at.

I came here to find that out, and what you told me was very helpful, and its what i needed to know, so thanks.

and the 2nd poster, im from the united states. from Connecticut

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldn't let that 1st comment get you down. $2k is more than enough to get going with a t shirt line and hoodies...and hats for that matter. With multiple styles. It sounds like you're aiming towards the new-school skiers. First off, I would not be "reactive" to the trends. Start something new. Look at jiberish...they started something new with a super creative name. They aren't near as popular as Volcom but they make money hand over fist. When creating your company think about the branding....it's all in the branding.

With 2 grand you can get a very good start. A lot of people on here act like if you don't have 10 grand to drop on a clothing company you wont succeed. That couldn't be more wrong. It took 3 days after we launched our site for one of the biggest motocross news sites to post our press release...and they came to us. We blew up super fast and we started with less than $1000.

Start making the shirts in runs of 100 or less and seeing how they sell on newschoolers.com thats what I would do if I were you. And Forget about the cut a sew for now. Just print on 3XL fitted T's...They work just as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahah! you know about jiberish and newschoolers? yea. i know peter drago, the creator of jiberish, and he said that jiberish is basically a no profit brand tho. that his stuff is top quality, but with very little profit. and i feel you dude. thanks for the heads up. i just gotta get a feel for this because i dont know really

·
Registered
75 Posts
trust me lol they make A LOT of money. I live right across the street from their store in Denver and they are sittin pretty for sure. They are smart about their short runs/releases and colabs with Level 1. If they are not for profit then either am I haha. Their prices kinda prove otherwise.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
!.) a company that would make tees for us(tagless) that are really good quality, but are also pretty cheap.
"Tagless" is a bit of a misnomer. You cannot buy tees that are completely void of labels. The info on the labels are required by law. You can have a company produce a "private label" program for you where the tees will feature your label, not the original manufacturers label. The label can be sewn, printed or heat transferred. The latter two are the ones most commonly referred to as "tagless" since they are more comfortable without the annoying sewn label.

You can read more about relabeling laws here: Threading Your Way Through the Labeling Requirements Under the Textile and Wool Acts

Most domestic blank tee suppliers offer a private label program. If you want really good quality, try a premium supplier such as Bare Apparel, JS Apparel, Article1, Royal Apparel or American Apparel (you can purchase AA through a distributor such as TSC Apparel).

2.)marketing: a very important of getting our brand noticed, would be marketing.
Yes, marketing is huge. But also look into sales and distribution channels. Getting your product to market in the right places is just as important.

3.)Planning: We are not going into this without any planning.
Yep, plan everything... design, supply chain, production, legal, financial, sales, marketing, distribution, etc.

4.)Legal: I want to know, what do i need to get filled out, patents, copyrights, etc? what would i need to make this legal?
Register your business, apply for a federal tax id number and get a resellers permit. That's the basics, but for more info, google 'starting a business in connecticut' and you will find plenty of resources that outline everything you need to get started legally. Don't forget, you will need to collect and report sales tax. But you should not pay taxes on purchases when you buy wholesale (like blank tees, for example).

A patent would only apply if you invent a new fabric.

You can copyright any designs you create. But copyrights exist when the design is in fixed form, so you don't really need to formally submit them (unless you expect to actually go to court to protect them against infringers).

You can trademark your brand name or logo. This is more important than copyrighting your designs, in my opinion. But don't spend your limited start up funds on trademarks. It is not required to operate your business and you gain common law trademark as you use your mark in commerce. At some point, you will want to trademark. But spend your start up funds on production and marketing. You can trademark later on when you can easily afford it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^YES THANK YOu. sooo much help. and with the tagless, i know that theres the tag that is required by law, but i meant like, without the manufacturer tag. but thanks soooo much.

and for those who are confused, we are going for the burberry/city look in our clothing, meaning polos, some real nice tees, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, we make custom sewn heavy t-shirts but we are on the west coast. You will most likely be looking for some mfg. on your coast. I was going to make some suggestions for that but not aware of any near you. Hang in there though. There have been plenty of very successful companies that started out with less than you and have made it. Stay true to your vision and your solid plan and you will do fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts