T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got all my legal stuff done , got myEIN number today, going to talk with CPA Monday , trade marks filed , now on to getting my stuff made.my question is for those that have started their own clothing brand.When you started did you go directly to manufacturer ? Currently I'm planning to get the shirts from the company doing my screen printing for my first couple of designs, has anyone else started this way? It seems like the cost would be a minimal difference since I have to get the shirts screen printed and relabeled anyway. Just wanted to hear about how you first did your tshirts. In the future we plan on adding shorts , polos and other types of apparel.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Hey Brandon,
There's no right or wrong way to get started. So it really depends on what you're comfortable with and how much you want to spend on your inventory. The best thing to do is start running the numbers. How much will it cost you per shirt to have the sourcing, printing and finishing done by the print shop? How much can you sell the shirts for? How many do you expect to sell in a given period of time? Will those profit margins keep your business sustainable as you turn over inventory and pay other overhead (such as marketing)?

Generally speaking, the more you ask the print shop to do, the more they will charge you. So they will markup the cost of the printing, the cost of the blank shirts, the time they spend sourcing the goods, the time they spend on the artwork, etc. If you can provide print ready artwork and source the blank goods, that goes a long way towards getting great pricing on the printing. Many print shops offer "contract" print pricing for qualified customers, which is a big discount over their custom print pricing.

· Registered
25 Posts
That's good advice from kimura-mma. I think you really need to know what you want and how you want it done. I worked with a customer who wanted to start a clothing line and every time I turned around he wanted the designs 1/2 an inch smaller or was asking for placements that were almost impossible for me to do. I would say the key is to know what you want when you go in. Also - buy your own wearables - it will save you money in the long run. If you are set-up as a business you should have no trouble getting an account from sanmar, alphabroder, etc. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.