T-Shirt Forums banner

Starting a business with a friend

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RickyJ702 
#1 ·
Has anyone started a business with a friend, what are the pro's and con's of this idea?

Need advice on if this is something to consider

#4 ·
Friends or Family don't mix well in business for the most part. My screen printing business is ran by my wife and I however we set up very clear responsibilities prior to starting. She does customer service/design and aids in the shop when we get busy. I handle the majority of the other tasks. It works fine but even with that there are bumps in the road.

With that said we have a separate business that involved multiple family members. Responsibilities weren't clearly established ahead of time. This business has strained the relationship between everyone involved where there is is almost no communication between each other. As is everyone is looking for an exit plan that will best suit themselves. When it's done I'm sure the relationships will never be the same.

#8 ·
Friend or not a friend. Be sure they compliment your skills and you're fully confident they're ready to work hard no matter what. It's not an easy path to start a shop. I'd recommend you take more equity in the business as well.

#12 ·
I saved my best friends business and then he pulled a fast one on me and pushed me out with 2 of my other friends once it started to make money.

Money changes people and they often make up stories they convince themselves to believe in to justify their actions. One of the guys tried to deny any involvement to my face, when all 3 were clearly seen having meetings without me.

I mourn the loss of my supposed friends more than the 10's of thousands their actions cost me. At least I found out how low and dirty they really are.

Just be very careful. Don't put ANY trust in them and make sure your contracts are not ambiguous in any way and are watertight. Include what should happen if you decide to go separate ways - assets, business names etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.