T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I was talking to a buddy tonight and he mentioned wanting to start a screen printing business. His family owns a small commercial industrial park so we pretty much have a pick of a few buildings to set up in he said.

Now i own a sign and graphics company and outsource my screen printing so of course this struck a interest to me as another business adventure.

At this time i'm planning on doing company shirts for my customers (construction companies, repair shops, pizza shops etc) Then expand to hats, koozies, mouse pads and more. I would also be interested in doing coro signs in bulks.

Below is some main questions me and him had if you guys don't mind, Thanks in advance....

I was looking at the Ryonet kits, are these any good and if not what can you recommend? Budget is up to $6k and i want a dryer, exposure unit and the whole kit and cubootale to be a legit screen printing shop

Is there a need to vent for the fumes? I really don't want to become sick due to the strong fumes if any

What inks should i go with, plastisol or water based and why?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am not familiar with Ryonet's kits. Just be sure to get something with micro registration. Venting is a good idea as all ink give off some fumes when heated. Most dryers come with vent fittings so it's not a big deal. Plastisol is more versatile, doesn't have the problem of drying in the screen like water base. It's what most people use. God Bless.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
As for coro signs, you'll need some good ventilation, unless you plan on springing for a UV dryer, which ain't cheap. I use solvent inks, and they smell like oil-based enamels, so I open up my roll-up door and have my home-spun press right next to the opening. I do have a respirator, but as long as I'm by the door, with a box fan pulling any fumes outside, I can't say that the fumes are that strong. If I print with the door closed, I wear the respirator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, So pretty much screen printing inks are quote unquote safe as oppose to the coro sign solvent inks?

I have a 30" versacamm that uses eco solv inks and i have a air purifier on blast whenever i'm printing and that helps filter the air but i heard coro sign inks are stronger....

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am selling all my equipment because I physically can't do it any more. It's only 3 years old and barely used. I tried to send you a PM but you box is full.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am selling all my equipment because I physically can't do it any more. It's only 3 years old and barely used. I tried to send you a PM but you box is full.
I deleted some things so it should be good now. I'm most likely buying everything brand new but feel free to send your price list anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The Ryonet set-ups are really good.
However, for what you want, I'm thinking you'll be spending more than 6k.
The Riley Hopkins presses that Ryonet sells are an excellent brand.
I've got a Hopkins Win 8/4 and love it.
Joystick registraion. I've also got a lil Logo conveyor dryer, (that Ryonet used to sell) and it's works great for me. I'm a one woman shop.
I use Ryonet exclusively. You can't go wrong with them.
great customer service and products. As well as knowledgeable staff that are printers and know their stuff.
High quality.

G

·
JM - Can you please send me your price list...I may be interested in some of the equipment/materials.

As for the Ryonet Kits. I am about to purchase a start up kit as well. I have been through several iterations of estimates with the Ryonet group, as I am also on a 6K budget. I would like to get the ENT44 package (which is a RH 4/4, exposure unit, washout booth, flash dryer, misc supplies and screens)...and a conveyor dryer...

from Ryonet...it is impossible. I have attemped to negotiate pricing to see if they can meet my budget. They are unable since they offer free shipping (they claim that they dont build this into the price). I am working to see if I can opt for a local pickup....we will see how this turns out.

Dont get me wrong, Im not blasting them. Im just sharing my experience for this thread.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Depending on your area, Craigslist and Digitsmith are great places to find screen gear. Nothing wrong buying new but there are many good pieces of equipment out there for half the cost of new.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I was looking at the Ryonet kits, are these any good and if not what can you recommend? Budget is up to $6k and i want a dryer, exposure unit and the whole kit and cubootale to be a legit screen printing shop

Is there a need to vent for the fumes? I really don't want to become sick due to the strong fumes if any

What inks should i go with, plastisol or water based and why?
I recommend the Lawson Screen & Digital packages & training class in Saint Louis or Atlanta. Their Textile Tech class has been training printers for more than 15 years.
Beginner

Venting requires ducting to a window, wall or if you must- through the roof, but that means cutting the roof.

Plastisol ink is infinitely easier than water-base ink.

Homework
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t7552.html#post410736

1 - 11 of 11 Posts