T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the forums for the past day and it has been very helpful. I'm looking to start a heat transfer press t-shirt business and was looking at getting a HiX Swingman 15. I was wondering what a good number of shirts (different colors too) would be to start with, and how much this would cost approximately. I'm just trying to gauge how much the start-up costs are because a friend of mine is interested in starting it up with me and I want to give him a good estimate, and the only thing I'm not too sure about yet is the start-up cost of the shirts.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Depends on your brand and supplier. I get Gildan Ultra shirts from S&S Activewear (ssactivewear.com). White and Natural run about $1.75 including shipping, Ash is about $2.00. Exact price varies on how many you order (for saving on shipping). Colored shirts will be about $2.30, but you won't be able to do many of them with a heat press -- white, ash, and natural are the main colors you have to work with, though I did have some decent luck with a light green I did. (Using normal methods anyway -- if you use plastisol transfers you can potentially do dark shirts).

Obviously, prices will vary a bit between suppliers and for different brands and styles (Girl's style t-shirts will cost a bit more, as will ringer styles and such.) but that should give a basic estimate to work from. You will need a sales tax license to be eligible for wholesale pricing, generally (blankshirts.com is the only place I've seen that does not verify your tax status; they're a bit more expensive, but not too bad.)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The traditional way of doing dark colored shirts would be screen printing. You can also use vinyl/flock (to do this yourself you'll need a vinyl cutter) which can be applied by a heat press; I think this still has some color limitations like screen printing does. Another option that I'm looking at is plastisol transfer -- this is basically where someone screen prints a design on to a piece of transfer paper that you can apply with a heat press. This gives you some print-on-demand ability since you can still choose color/size as ordered, but you'll have to order some bulk since its still screen printed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello DirtyIceCream,

You might want to check out my post under general t-shirt discussions. We would have every thing you need, several design categories, shirts, even an excellent heat press 15 X 15 perfect for all shirts.

Please look at our post if you have time. I gaurantee we can make this the most affordable way for you to get started. We can also share with you all of our wholesale sources. We are closing the store after 5 enjoyable years as we are currently lead in another direction. We will be back one day, and do look forward to that. Take a look we are trying to finalize our liquidation over the next few days.
Thank You. The Gallaghers @ Casual Tee Gifts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello again,
Just wanted to mention one other thing, since there seems to be some confusion on some of the posts. We have been printing shirts for over 5 years, 7 different color shirts, includind darks. Some designs are for light colored shirts, while others work on light or dark. The only thing you need is, the designs of which there are numerous suppliers, the shirts, and a heat press, that's it. I press all of our shirts at 390 degree's heavy pressure, for 10 seconds.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I paid for a Heatpress and a Desktop Cutter about €1010 ($1220). Shirts I buy from Textile Stocks in belgium they offer a shirt (jerzees 140 gram) for less than 1 dollar (€0,75)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts