T-Shirt Forums banner

Start up apparel business

198 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  michellefanfan 
#1 ·
Hi,
My son and I are just starting up an apparel business. We are starting with Tees first. In doing the initial research, I was curious as to several items. First, what is the best fabric to use for the Tees, (100% cotton or some blend), second what is the best way to apply the designs (screening might be the way to do), and initially we thought about having a printer do the printing of our designs. Any help would be greatly approciated.

#2 ·
Hi,
My son and I are just starting up an apparel business. We are starting with Tees first. In doing the initial research, I was curious as to several items. First, what is the best fabric to use for the Tees, (100% cotton or some blend), second what is the best way to apply the designs (screening might be the way to do), and initially we thought about having a printer do the printing of our designs. Any help would be greatly approciated.
Hi Sam,

Glad to have your join with us.

Currently, most tees fabric w/printing logo are made from 100%cotton, of course, there are also 100%polyester, or both blended fabric. But 100%cotton fabric to make tees is definitely popular in current market,one reason is that the cotton is natural fiber, soft enough and good to health.Most kinds of ink has no problem to print on cotton fabric, that's another reason why tees are made from it a lot.

DTG, Heat transfer, silkscreen printing will be your choices, for start-up qtty, DTG and Heat transfer will be better to save cost in smaller quantity printing. For quality, i prefer silkscreen printing and DTG.

Bill

#3 ·
Are you planning on printing your own designs or custom printing for companies?

We screen print or heat press transfers on 100% cotton, or 50/50 Cotton Poly Blend. The 50/50's are cooler, and most companies like them during the warmer months. Some companies want 100% during cooler months or if they just want a heavier t-shirt.

You also have Moisture Wick for Sport events or people who run hot, and want a moisture shirt.

Hope this helps, Paul

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I am still researching fabric right now. I am looking for US manufacturers and will try to order samples to look at several items that are important to us such as: neckline, feel of the fabric, length below the waist, etc. The next thing is to find a printer that will work with us on small runs of shirts and which print process will be best at first.

Also, in terms of cutting the patterns, we are looking into what program would be best to use for the artwork that will transfer to cutting the stencils. Any ideas?

#6 ·
I am looking for US manufacturers and will try to order samples to look at several items that are important to us such as: neckline, feel of the fabric, length below the waist, etc. The next thing is to find a printer that will work with us on small runs of shirts and which print process will be best at first.?
Hi Sam,

Maybe you could consider to find a printer around you who also can supply tees. Possibly it will save the cost for you to buy shirts from here and do printing another place, it will be better for an efficient communication to one person for 2 things. Many printers in USA do supply blank tees at present. Or they can help you purchase, they are professional to help u pick up right tees, but let them know what you want.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.