T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got some aluminum water bottles from Joto, and in typical Joto fashion, no instructions. So I tried to sublimate it using the same settings that I do for ceramic mugs, but that didn't work out to well.

Transfer paper stuck to the bottle and the aluminum actually changed shape, so I am guessing that the settings that I have for my phoenix mug press don't work for aluminum. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried them and what was the secret formula for time/heat.

Thanks
Bieu

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Try cutting your time in half. I also use wraps for doing water bottles. I haven't done a water bottle in a little while, but I'm thinking I was at 400* for 5 minutes. Aluminum is pretty sensitive to overheating and it is much more heat conductive than the ceramic mugs. Both the paper sticking and the aluminum distortion are signs of overheating. If you don't want to go the trial error route, Joto might know the exact time you need. I wish my mug press would work with water bottle, but their diameter is too small. I'd much rather use the press than a wrap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it at 360 for 5 mins, so I will try less time.

The bottles didn't fit my mug press either but Joto has a wrap/insert that makes them fit.

The product is new to Joto so they didn't really have any info yet.

b

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am trying to get ready for doing the alum. water bottlles from Conde. I do not have a mug press but I do have some of the conde wrap 10s that I use to do my 11oz mugs. I know the beer steins use the same wrap but I am still waiting from Conde on how to do the water bottles without a press. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They have a wrap for the water bottles. Time and temp are 8 minutes @ 400*. I did some today and I'm ready to buy a dedicated press just for water bottles.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks Ross,

I just ordered the wrap and a a half a dozen water bottles. I only ordered a few because I am not sure which way to go Stainless or White. I will make some samples and see which way the customers lean. I did the same with the Beer steins, Irdered a case of them half white and half frosted. These are new items and I don't know what will sell. Rumor is real beer drinkers go for the frosted and souvenir people choose the white. I guess I will find out soon enough.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the paper is sticking to the coating, this can be caused either by overheating or the coating wasn't properly cured in the 1st place. We do waterbottles in the mug press for 3 minutes at 360.

If reducing the time doesn't help, then take a waterbottle, and heat it to 140 (preferably in your oven at home), and leave it there for 30 minutes. If this solves your problem, then it means you have a bad batch of waterbottles which wasn't cured properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First you wrap the bottle in a piece of silicone coated paper (I was told you can use regular paper too), then the mug wrap. If its too big, I use a large metal paper clamp to tighten the wrap. Bake at 400 for 7 minutes. (You may have to tweak to suit your oven). I put 4 bottles per shelf and have found I get best results when mouth of bottle is facing oven door. Seems to help prevent scorching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts