T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So ive been using the Express Print line for my Roland VP540, everything was good with that material. We decided to Switch to the SuperTek Opaque Material Expecting the same results, I was wrong.

The printing is fine and not the issue its the cutting and weeding of the material that im having an issue with. Every time im print and cut it doesnt weed correctly. I can get it to work with timely weeding techniques but of course that takes more time than it needs.

I use the recommended blade force, speed and degree of blade from stahls and it always gives me an issue, EVERY ROLL we've bought. Its a pain in the butt when i cant weed lettering, even at 2-3" high. the lines look all jagged and the corners dont always cut right. If i switch over to express print the file prints and cut no issue every time.

Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong

· Registered
1,965 Posts
It is a performance vinyl, so it is not the same as weeding Express Print...

A good technique to use is to print, cut and then mask your design. Once masked, you can then weed your design. This will allow you to weed a little more detail..... Let us know how this works for you.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we've tried that even with the Solutions Opaque and its like its not even cut correctly, at the settings that Stahl's recommends. i have a Roland VP-540 if that helps. Im kind of at wits end with this stuff, i want to be able to use it because of the wide range of fabrics we need it to adhere too, plus the stretch capabilities.

Also in the video on the Stahls Site it shows, Print, Cut weed then mask and makes it looks soo easy

· Registered
217 Posts
Cory I have the same issue. What i did by trial and error is upping the pressure. Finally at three (3) times what I was using for express print I got graphics that weeded better. Keep upping the pressure till it actually puts a little score in the backing. This works fine for graphics, but I am still playing with it for small text.

greenie

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony, Ill try that, i wouldnt try to do small text with this, it never seems to work. DId you play with the speed too or just the pressure?

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Being a performance material, it is very stretchy so I would make sure that you have a sharp blade in your cutter and actually I am recommending (for the Roland cutters) the premium carbide blades. They take allot longer to dull and work very well with performance vinyls.

Also slowing down your cutting will help.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
NIck, i do use a Carbide Blade already. I know you're a stahl's rep so you are trained to sell things and more power to you but the settings on your website DO NOT WORK for this material. Ive actually got this narrowed down and it works very well after @greenmachine (Tony) told me increase the pressure to triple the stahls recommended. Right Now im cutting at 30 Speed with 190 GF of force, .25 offset and a 45degree blade. A 60 Degree Blade thats new will cut right through the back with these settings, drop it to 125 or 130 pressure for the 60 degree blade . I would pass on these setting to the other stahls reps that have to deal with anyone that has a Roland VP series at least. THanks again tony, your a life saver

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I am having a problem masking foiltek silver, white and gold are fine but silver will not mask. It is weeding fine, any ideas
Hello,

Sometimes if you cut too deep and "score" the carrier, it creates a groove that makes it difficult to remove the vinyl with your mask.

You could try to reduce your blade force on your cutter and see if that helps.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thank you.

· Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the reply. I have reduced the cutting depth as low as I can. it makes weeding more difficult but it can just be done. There is no mark on the backing from the knife but it still wont mask. The other colours of foiltek are fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.