T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a heat press, approximately 15x15. I've been recommended the Mighty Press by several members. But has anyone spent the time to do an honest and direct comparison? Is there any deciding / important factors that might help to sway me in a certain direction? Thank you! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am no expert, but Hix presses ( according to the ads ) will open about 20 degrees more than other hinge type presses. This would get the heat away from your fingers a little more. I heard that the mighty press and some Hix models are clam shell meaning they won't handle the thicker materials. The swing aways will accept thicker materals. heat presses are not cheap, I requested a discount for a group buy of 3- Hix 16 x 20's and only received a 1 percent discount offer. Guess I needed more orders.

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
taurusndixie said:
I requested a discount for a group buy of 3- Hix 16 x 20's and only received a 1 percent discount offer. Guess I needed more orders.
Who'd you ask? Coastal give a 2.1% discount for two or more straight off their website. I'm guessing they'd need to be shipped to one address though, which could easily negate the value of the discount if it's a group buy.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
We have the DK20S. We wanted the swinger so we could do more than just shirts and the 20 so we could do larger items. The press is great. We didn't get the auto press because of the doubling of price but it would be nice to have something like that. We did get the rolling stand at the same time and are happy that we did so it can be rolled out of the way when not needed. The sucker is 220lbs!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't speak for anything other than the Mighty Press 15x15 because it is the only press I've owned, but I'd give it a big "thumbs up". I bought it used about 6 years ago, have used it a lot myself, loaded it in and out of the car to take to events, etc., and I've never had a problem with it. Still works as good as new. :)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
First off, do NOT get anything clamshell. Those are just plain dangerous. Swing-away is far better. Second, spring for a 16" x 20" model. Those few extra inches are a godsend for really big shirts! Last, I have a Stahl's Hotronix and it does well. Most big names will probably, though.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
spring for a 16" x 20" model. Those few extra inches are a godsend for really big shirts!
That's the thing - people think of 15"x15" to 16"x20" as being a few inches... the latter is about 43% larger.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oddly enough, I went with the HIX 15x15 clamshell. I haven't actually used it yet, but it makes a spiffy looking paperweight.

I'll be using First Edition as my supplier, so none of the transfers will be over 10x10 anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The clam shell is more difficult to operate, I have the burn marks on the back of my hands to prove it, but space is also a consideration. The pul out or swing out frames are great if you have room for them. Get the dimensions required for each and check it against your space. In our small retail store, we went clamshell and have been fully satisfied. We do about $2,500/month worth of transfer business with the one press and it's been going steady for a couple of years now.

We use a Phoenix Phire press. Just afteer we got it, the came out with the digital pressure read out. That would be really nice to have.

Jim

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a Geo Knight 16 x 20 clamshell with their (semi) auto release add on. I have never burned myself and this is my first heat press. I have pressed many hundreds of items and have spent as long as 10 hours in front of it doing mass production with no issues. The only beef I have with it is when you are pressing mass quantities the temp fluctuates and I don't like waiting the short time for the temp to get back up to 400. I print Duracotton HT and Image Clip primarily. I even sit and set rhinestones for hours at the press with no burning. (thank goodness for AC, because that sucker is hot when sitting in front of it all day). I mix transfers with rhinestones more often than not. I do imagine that a 2k swing away auto open would be heaven, but I will take what I have in the mean time with no complaints:) Good luck deciding!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I started with a 11x15 stahls and then just upgraded to a 16x16 auto open, I love it and when and if I need another it will be the same. The auto open and the pressure readout is awesome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Geo Knight 16 x 20 clamshell with their (semi) auto release add on. I have never burned myself and this is my first heat press. I have pressed many hundreds of items and have spent as long as 10 hours in front of it doing mass production with no issues. The only beef I have with it is when you are pressing mass quantities the temp fluctuates and I don't like waiting the short time for the temp to get back up to 400. I print Duracotton HT and Image Clip primarily. I even sit and set rhinestones for hours at the press with no burning. (thank goodness for AC, because that sucker is hot when sitting in front of it all day). I mix transfers with rhinestones more often than not. I do imagine that a 2k swing away auto open would be heaven, but I will take what I have in the mean time with no complaints:) Good luck deciding!
Oh man if your pressing for 10 hours, you should look at a geo Knight dk20s with the dka-twin. Its much cooler too sit beside the press, and you should be done in 5 hours. Dyetrans has the best price at 1860.00 for both. Check shipping though, as a closer dealer will work out cheaper because of shipping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For my experience, Geo Knight DK20S 16x20 swinger is a good heat press... The Hix swingman 20d 16x20 might cause you trouble and the costumer service will not be there to support you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts