T-Shirt Forums banner

Spot left after pretreatment on dark shirts

6690 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Justin Walker
Problem - The spot is left after pretreatment of any dark color t-shirt.
How to solve this problem?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I think a little more info would be needed to answer your question.
I know when we started printing with out DTG we would get staining on dark shirts, but not the black shirt. It would look like a huge stain, we were told it would wash out, but it did not. The company ended up chaning the pretreatment and we didn't have any more problems with it.
So if you could list out what kind of spotting you are getting, which pretreatment you are using etc.. you will get a better answer.
you don't.. it will wash out.

If you lighten up your pretreat the ink might not as pop as much with good pretreat.

If you make it heavier the image could wash off..

we just make a note in our disclaimer that we use a pretreat and the shirt must me washed before
wearing
Part of the deal with pretreat is that it soaks and mats down the fiber . It works ideal if you let things soak in more (no beading on top), and you hover first then press with very low pressure and use cover sheet, you will not get the compression and sheen that some people mistake for a "stain". Pretreat #1 had a tendency to discolor in UV(sunlight). Since the new formula came out, I have not had this issue. During the dry time of the year, it helps if I mist the shirt with water first, Put an even layer of pretreat (not soaking...just frosting the surface). I then squeegee in a down direction, then stack off to the side. I Let it soak in as I do 5 or 10 shirts. If I get the pile of shirts to my press and I still see it as too wet, I just hover for a little then press for 30 seconds.
we just make a note in our disclaimer that we use a pretreat and the shirt must me washed before
wearing
Carla, Could you post an example of your disclaimer? I am going to start putting one with my shirts but trying to figure out how to word it.
one thing we have done is when just spray plain water right after the cure and heat press with parchment paper to remove the box. we did this on light blue shirts.
We purchased a new gallon of dark pretreatment from a different supplier and this pretreatment is incredible! I have never seen such bright whites and vibrant colors. The problem is that you can faintly see this pretreatment just as you can any other but this appears shiny. It is even more shiny if you use a teflon sheet opposed to quilon paper. We did wash test and the pretreatment washes out and I got to say the image with this pretreatment doesn't loose it's pop or vibrancy after washed.

one thing we have done is when just spray plain water right after the cure and heat press with parchment paper to remove the box. we did this on light blue shirts.
Binki, do you mean after curing the inks of the pretreatment? I'm am guessing you mean after you cure the inks.

Thanks!
Carla, Could you post an example of your disclaimer? I am going to start putting one with my shirts but trying to figure out how to word it.
Basically, a sticker or note that a pretreat was used and that you must wash before you wear..

maybe on the back of a business card
vinyl sticker

plus, its on the bottom of our invoice disclaimer.
Reactions: 1
This is what I came up with. It is a little long though:

Attention Customers: Your garment was printed using the latest state of the art digital printing. Your garment was treated to allow the image to be vibrant and wash fast for the life of the garment. The treated area will appear as a faint box and/or shiny behind the image and feel stiff to the touch. The treatment will wash out after 1 or 2 washes. It is recommended as with any new garment that you wash before wearing. If the garment is not washed before worn then the treatment will simply remain visible until the garment is washed.

Basically, a sticker or note that a pretreat was used and that you must wash before you wear..
Carla, I like the sticker idea. I'll have to see if I can shorten it up a bit.
too much detail.. just get straight to the point that it was pretreated and a simple wash will take it out..
keep in mind most people already wash before they wear but some think that after a simple wash the newness wears out so.. reassure that a simple wash before is enough.
We purchased a new gallon of dark pretreatment from a different supplier and this pretreatment is incredible! I have never seen such bright whites and vibrant colors.
Just curious - where did you buy your pretreatment from?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.