T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am currently evaluating a few companies that create plastisol transfers. One, and, perhaps all, of these companies requires that submitted graphics be in a vector format - no problem. However, they also specify that the graphic use SPOT COLORS - vs. CMYK, or RGB colors. I know that my graphics are in a vector format. I think I know what a spot color is, but I don't know if my graphics comply. I use Corel X3, and save my files as a *.cdr (Corel Draw) file.

So ...................

Does that (*.cdr-vector format) alone insure that I'm using SPOT COLORS? If not, how do I know if my graphics use SPOT COLORS? If they do not, how do I convert my current (*.cdr) files?

I hope I stated that clearly enough. ThanX so much for any information you can supply! :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Go and look at the company that you want to do your transfers. They should list the colors they can use for your art. Probably a Pantone color chart for example. Assign thier red for whatever red you have in your art etc. They will also tell you what file formats they accept...AI, Corel,etc. As long as you are in vector format they can find a way to take care of you. They just need a way to break your file up so they can create the screens and color trap in needed. You dont want to create in CMYK...its a different printing process altogether and involves much more time and money. Lets see your design for a better understanding of whats going on.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
it is also important to give the transfer maker a paper print-out of your designs, this way you see the colors and so do they.... in case they need to manually match the inks to your colors. :D

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
In Corel open the Pantone Solid color palette.
Windows/Color Palettes/ Pantone Solid Coated or Uncoated

Use these colors when creating your design. Like David mentioned you can create your own custom color palette using PMS spot colors that match the ones your transfer company uses as stok colors. This will make creating and transferring your art to them a lot easier.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweeeeeeeet. ThanX so much for the great, and prompt replies! I think I've got it now. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts