T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, there are a lot of questions relating to creating spot-color plastisol transfers that look Vintage. So i printed one sample today to show how you can achieve the vintage look with spot process with vintage looking artwork.

The design is printed on a white shirt, colors in the design are faded on purpose. Hot Peel.

Hope this helps members that are looking to make t-shirts that look vintage using spot-color process with percentages. It is possible.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
T-BOT said:
hi guys, there are a lot of questions relating to creating spot-color plastisol transfers that look Vintage. So i printed one sample today to show how you can achieve the vintage look with spot process with vintage looking artwork.

The design is printed on a white shirt, colors in the design are faded on purpose. Hot Peel.

Hope this helps members that are looking to make t-shirts that look vintage using spot-color process with percentages. It is possible.

Thanks for the samples T-Bot!!!!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
T-BOT said:
you're welcome. :D

i guess if the art was more gothic skulls looking you would like it better Eh David ?
wELL... at these auto events I deal with Bikers, Low rider types, Heavy metal folks and Import tuner kids. When I started with transfers I had to start somewhere. Most of the auto transfers are for the classics folks and Dale Ernhardt wanna be worshippers. The cool tuner style auto transfers usually have some silly bimbo woman on them and stupid writing. I chose to go with some darker skull images that would crossover. I have acouple of the bimbo girls and car images and they are super qaulity. I have a group that I do shows with...about 12 a year and am going to need some transfers from ya. They are gonna be two to three color 10x12 images I think. Probably order in the amounts of 100 to 200 to begin with. If you could PM and idea of the cost that would be great. The transfers need to be opaque and transfer onto black as well as white shirts. This will probably an order that gets repeated depending on how the sales go at these specific events.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will do.

BTW, X-it makes some good ones within your themes.
If you can get some of the X-It car Racing designs (#3, #24 etc.) from a few years ago, they were nice. Car racing designs etc.. do not sell as well here in Canada as they do in the Southern states. Not enough Racing fans here I guess.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
annaylee said:
This looks great! What is "Spot-Color"?
One of the main screenprinting methods (and therefore a technique used by screenprinted plastisol transfers), as opposed to 4 colour process printing.

Here's Pantone's guide (this is for general printing, but the method is the essentially same.....think magazine print vs. painting your front door):

http://www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=683&idArea=12

·
Registered
28 Posts
So what you're showing us here and ultimately saying is that a screen printer can create one color pastisol hot peel transfers with transparency percentages? Rendering a softer look in select areas with only one color?

With the way hot peel works could the printer also take a rag and lift some of the ink to create more distress in the image before the ink dries to the shirt?

Sorry for the long windedness, just a nube very interested in creating a vintage look with plastiol transfers.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
work-ed said:
So what you're showing us here and ultimately saying is that a screen printer can create one color pastisol hot peel transfers with transparency percentages? Rendering a softer look in select areas with only one color?

With the way hot peel works could the printer also take a rag and lift some of the ink to create more distress in the image before the ink dries to the shirt?

Sorry for the long windedness, just a nube very interested in creating a vintage look with plastiol transfers.
WOR-ED, to answer you question: yes, yes. :)

here is more info:

"Scrap Boy T-Shirt Design Method Explained
What are Scrap Iron-on Transfers ?

Scrap Iron-on Transfers are transfers that are damaged. In other words, they can not be sold at full price and often end up in the garbage because they start to pile up.

These INK transfers get damaged very easy when handling them because the INKS sit on the transfer paper in a semi-liquid fragile type stage and it does not take much to scratch them. However, after they are Heat Applied, these INKS harden/bond to garments and endure for years, washable etc..

So you end up with some great transfer designs that are 99.9% in perfect condition, created/made by very talented artists, that are stored away waiting to be tossed in the trash when that day comes. This is a waiste of art and it pollutes the environment.

What is Scrap Boy's Shirt Design Method ?

Very simple, you use these transfers in various ways to create your own one-of-a-kind shirts.
If you are not familiar with plastisol ink iron-on transfers, the design comes in Mirror Image on a sheet of transfer paper. You face the ink side down and the paper side up when you apply them with a Heat Press or Home Iron. Tools required ? your thumb/nail, scissors, sand paper or whatever else you can find around the studio to achieve the effect you're looking for.

You can do whatever you like to modify the original transfer. You can:

Tear the edges.
Scratch off some of the Ink.
Cut them into little pieces.
etc...
Then you lay out your iron-on transfer parts on a shirt and start printing them. Start from the background and work it to the foreground. "

1 - 15 of 15 Posts