T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok bought some samples of SportFilm Lite by Stahls and I am having some problems peeling the clear backing once I have pressed. Follow the direction and I am using a Hortonix press. I also tried peeling cold and hot, but the vinyl still wants to pull off the shirt with back.

Has anyone else had they problems? Also used Thermo-Film at the same time and had no problems.

Attachments

· Registered
119 Posts
On nylons is where I have more issues, but I have found if I take a piece of aluminum (we also do sublimation so I have 12"x24" sheet stock of aluminum on hand) and lay it quickly over the transfer to take some of the heat off but not to the "cool/cold" point, the mylar comes off much better. Just need to be careful on fine detail areas and peel from the large to the small. Too hot - not good, too cold - not good ... it's finding that medium warm temperature that has worked the best for me. Good luck! Otherwise, it's nice material to work with.

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On nylons is where I have more issues, but I have found if I take a piece of aluminum (we also do sublimation so I have 12"x24" sheet stock of aluminum on hand) and lay it quickly over the transfer to take some of the heat off but not to the "cool/cold" point, the mylar comes off much better. Just need to be careful on fine detail areas and peel from the large to the small. Too hot - not good, too cold - not good ... it's finding that medium warm temperature that has worked the best for me. Good luck! Otherwise, it's nice material to work with.
Thanks...I will try that. I am just use to ThermoFlex and I can pull that stuff off at any point with ease. Trying to make the switch to Stahls. I will give that a try.

· Registered
119 Posts
I've never tried ThermoFlex ... I really like the EcoFilm from Imprintables Warehouse (affordable, easy to weed, durable, lightweight and more of a matte finish ... the ThermoGrip/Film is too shiny for most of my customers liking on t-shirts ... okay on sweatshirts ... only downside of EcoFilm is it is only available in 15" width... I'm hoping eventually they'll get to the 19" or 20" width). The Stahl's SuperFilm or SportLite is about the same weight, as is the Fashion Film ... I like them all ... although, I'm partial to the wide color selection of the EcoFilm from Imprintables.

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never tried ThermoFlex ... I really like the EcoFilm from Imprintables Warehouse (affordable, easy to weed, durable, lightweight and more of a matte finish ... the ThermoGrip/Film is too shiny for most of my customers liking on t-shirts ... okay on sweatshirts ... only downside of EcoFilm is it is only available in 15" width... I'm hoping eventually they'll get to the 19" or 20" width). The Stahl's SuperFilm or SportLite is about the same weight, as is the Fashion Film ... I like them all ... although, I'm partial to the wide color selection of the EcoFilm from Imprintables.
Yeah the 20" roll is why I was wanting to make the switch. 20" seems really efficient for number/names. I agree ThermoGrip is to shiny, but it was for jerseys.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah the 20" roll is why I was wanting to make the switch. 20" seems really efficient for number/names. I agree ThermoGrip is to shiny, but it was for jerseys.
Troy - if you'd like to call me I can try to troubleshoot. The peel should be when cool or slightly warm. Is this the only color giving you issues or have you tested other colors?

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Troy - if you'd like to call me I can try to troubleshoot. The peel should be when cool or slightly warm. Is this the only color giving you issues or have you tested other colors?
I bought a yard of black and white... had the same problem with both. I am sure it is something that I am doing wrong, but I have used vinyl for the last 2 years... so I feel like I know what I am doing. Also tested at different levels (cold, warm, hot), but I don't have a way to verify the correct "warm" was reached.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
I bought a yard of black and white... had the same problem with both. I am sure it is something that I am doing wrong, but I have used vinyl for the last 2 years... so I feel like I know what I am doing. Also tested at different levels (cold, warm, hot), but I don't have a way to verify the correct "warm" was reached.
If you peel it when its completely cooled down it should do just fine....what are your other settings? Time, Temp, Pressure?

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you peel it when its completely cooled down it should do just fine....what are your other settings? Time, Temp, Pressure?
I just followed these directions:

[media]http://www.stahls.com/stahls/09/pdf/techsheets/SportFilmLite.pdf[/media]

Dialed in my Hotronix press at 320 degrees, 15 seconds, pressure of 6....also prepressed.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
I just followed these directions:

[media]http://www.stahls.com/stahls/09/pdf/techsheets/SportFilmLite.pdf[/media]

Dialed in my Hotronix press at 320 degrees, 15 seconds, pressure of 6....also prepressed.
That's correct....hmmm....

I use this stuff all the time in my videos, it definitely needs to wait to be peeled....the only other possible things I can think of may be the possibility of cutting too deep? Can you see cut lines in the carrier sheet?

If this doesn't work, we'll send out some new samples to see if there may have been a mix up...kind of stumped on this one.

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's correct....hmmm....

I use this stuff all the time in my videos, it definitely needs to wait to be peeled....the only other possible things I can think of may be the possibility of cutting too deep? Can you see cut lines in the carrier sheet?

If this doesn't work, we'll send out some new samples to see if there may have been a mix up...kind of stumped on this one.
Ok I will check the cut depth and see if that makes a difference... the main thing that stumped me is that it was extremely easy to weed, but then almost locked to the backing when applied with heat.

· Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feel free to use me as a rescource on this issue as well. I also have not ran into this issue when peeling warm.

What type of fabric are you applying it to?
Mix of Gildan Ultra 100% Cotton and Gildan Ultra Blend.

Also, I did receive your voicemail and I appreciate the call. I have been in Vegas for the last week and a half and have not had time to get in touch with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.