T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got our dog bowls and wraps the other day and I was SOO excited to make them (I am a dog freak). So we finally had the time last night. Since we have been so successful with the mugs we thought this would be just as easy.

First I was surprised and a little disappointed to see that the wrap was MUCH thinner then the mug wrap. Though the buckle was nice and a snap to use. Followed the directions, even put it in a few extra minutes since the oven didn't preheat. We took a peak and it wasn't perfect so we put it back in for another 10 minutes. I was so sad when we took it out and looked at the final product. (besides the fact that hubby placed the words UPSIDE DOWN). only about the top 1/3 of the image worked, the middle and bottom 1/3 was very faint, kinda splotchy white-ish.

From what we can figure is that the wrap is not SNUG and tight enough like when we can screw the mugs. I mean it's not falling off loose but for me loving the buckle earlier, now I think it was not the best choice of closure.

But I would assume the center would come out the best since the closure is in the center but no, the center and bottom 1/3 just looks sad. I will take photos when my batteries finish charging.

Got my supplies from Conde, so I know they are good. Just wondering if I just got a bum one or if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Thanks everyone! I'm totally bummed.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry that it didn't work out. Maybe the 2nd time around will be a charm :) I just ordered my wraps from the paperranch (haven't received them yet though). Hopefully I will have better luck. I'll post pics when I finally get one made.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Due to the cost of the blank dog bowls, I am not sure if you are willing to try another sample. So I would wait till Monday and call Conde to speak with either Sonya, David or Monica. They are all very knowledgeable and I am sure they can walk you through the steps. As you probably know, there are three factors when doing sublimation: time, temperature and pressure. I definitely would wait to make sure that the oven reaches the proper temperature. You might want to check the internal temperature of the oven with a secondary temperature gauge for accuracy.

The wrap should be pretty tight, but you can still probably work your finger between the wrap and the bowl if you try hard enough. Maybe you can fold up some paper an put it between the dye sub paper and the wrap to help keep the pressure. You might want to also confirm that you are printing on the correct side of the dye sub paper or it will not release it.

Hope you figure this out. The dog shows are a gold mine for customers! Best wishes.

Mark

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark! Yea, they told us that the dog bowl is a challenging item, just because it is so big and the temp is crucial. So we are going to try again with the oven PREHEATED and see how it goes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Definitely check the oven temp with a thermometer. The reason the bottom didn't come out is because the bottom did not reach the proper temp for the proper amount of time. The dog bowl is thicker and has more mass to heat up on the bottom of the bowl so it takes longer for the bottom portion to reach temp. They recommend 400* for 11 minutes. I find that 430* for 15 minutes works better. Make sure the oven is up to temp before placing the bowl inside and do it quick so you don't lose a lot of heat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get to try the second bowl yet?
Just curious as to how it went. I have never done a wrap before.

Here's a secret that they told me, the wrap is actually unnecessary if you tape it down. I called them and they told me that, to tell me that it doesn't matter if the wrap was loose or not.

We did tape it. And we had the image cut, so one on each side, and they said that is the best way to go. So anyways, they were very helpful and said they would do one THERE to make sure the bowls were not defective. I asked them to do one WITHOUT the wrap please and let me know.

They said it was PERFECT without even using a wrap. So that's a great little tidbit :) They said to do 450 for 15 minutes. One person said I should go up in temp even... So I will post when we redo one tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts