T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at a store this weekend, my other half noticed a 100% cotton material by the yard. It was pretty cheap, cheaper than ruining shirts when practicing heat press techniques. Has anyone ever tried heat pressing on 100% cotton material by the yard??. I thought that it would be a cheaper alternative than ruining tees for practicing purposes.

·
2,957 Posts
I think that's a great idea for the heat press folks!

You can get t-shirt fabric (100% cotton jersey) from local fabric places really cheap. Lots of times they have it on sale for about $1/yard. You could spend 20 bucks and do lots of practicing!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I would have assumed that's what everybody does, but I've never heard anyone mention it (but for the opposite side I've heard plenty of people complain about burning through shirts). It's certainly how I test my screenprints.

If you like the results you can put them in a catalogue to show retailers, or mount them for market displays, or etc.

·
2,957 Posts
That's a lot more than buying fabric at $1/yard!

With a 1 yard of fabric (remember, that's 3 feet!) you could probably get 4 or 5 designs on it, depending upon how big your designs are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When ever I need T-shirts to practice on I go to our local good will. They often run sales and I can get a wide variety of colors, brands, and materials. I even pick up sports jerseys.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i buy yard goods all the time to use for test material - it's cheaper and easier to run tests on - especially when i want a control sample and one to wash. i usually have several yards of 100% jersey knit, 50/50 knit and 100% poly (for dye sub) on hand. a local fabric store closed last year and i stocked up at huge discounts! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts