T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone ask me to place a spanish flag emblem on a t-shirt for them. Would this infringe on any copyrights or trademarks? Would it have to be drawn up by hand or could I use any image? I did search the site but I did not find anything relating to flag emblems.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
73 Posts
IANAL (I am not a lawyer)...but,

In my opinion, the flag being drawn by you or your artist is public domain. Even if it is based solely on the flag of Spain. Now, if I created a website like Flags of the World and had copyrights on individual flag gif's, etc. then it would be an issue. No way is a country's flag not public domain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm no lawyer either, but the way I understand the copyright laws, the person who creates the image or picture owns the rights to that image or picture. I agree with Shaggs that the flag of any nation is in the public domain, however just using someones photograph of that flag without the photographers permission would be an infringement of a copyright. I believe that the same holds true for an artistic rendition.

Check out some royalty free design sites, there may be images available where the copyright is also free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts