T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good buy on 70denier slingback bags for the school. However, I'm not *really* sure how to tackle it.

One piece of advice given-- "run one of the sacks through your conveyor and see if it withstands the heat". Ummm, ok...and possibly gunk up my conveyor. LOL

So, my questions--
**If I use a Maxopake Plastisol with Nylobond additive, does the additive raise the cure temp any?
**How long does the item have to remain at the cure temp, for proper curing?
**Option B is air dry, which I REALLY don't want to do. No space to air dry so many bags, too much time, etc.
**Has anyone else done this count of denier and how did it turn out for you, what methods did you use, etc?

**I WANT to print white on black--Maxopake a good ink to use? (Regardless of what I'm putting it on)

You guys (and ladies) are such a wealth of information & knowledge, I KNOW someone will be able to help me. :)

TYIA

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Just about any white ink will work. The nylobond will thin the ink somewhat. I got best results printing on royal blue backpacks printing through a 305 mesh. Nylon material doesn't absorb the ink . . . it sits on top, so it's not like printing shirts, and the white will print nicely through a finer mesh. I started with 230 and found it lost detail from too much ink.
As for your dryer, follow the instructions with the nylobond. It's a catalyst which will harden and help adhere the ink to the nylon, and you run the dryer cooler than you would with regular plastisol, but you'll have to run one through to check temp. Not likely to melt into a gooey mess, but it'll shrivel up if it's too hot.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
How hot was your dryer, or more importantly, how hot were the backpacks getting in the dryer? Sounds like you ran it too hot, and yes, that will pucker, melt, shrivel, and otherwise render unusable a nylon item. Start at a low temp and move up to what the additive maker recommends, then try to scratch the ink off the pack with a fingernail.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How hot was your dryer, or more importantly, how hot were the backpacks getting in the dryer? Sounds like you ran it too hot, and yes, that will pucker, melt, shrivel, and otherwise render unusable a nylon item. Start at a low temp and move up to what the additive maker recommends, then try to scratch the ink off the pack with a fingernail.
The dryer was running about 290 at the backend, closer to 310 at the frontend.

There were no additives. I was doing a test run to see if the bag could make it to cure temp. Which, it couldn't.

So now I'm wondering about the air dry inks, since (according to what I read) has an additive that makes it air dry, without my dryer. Am I understanding that correctly?

I WANT to be able to run them through the conveyor, but don't see at all how they will reach cure temp without melting.

Thanks in advance for you help!!

Angie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.