T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been making shirts for about 6 months now. I print transfers directly from my computer, and heat press them on white shirts. How exactly does screenprinting work? I have no clue. For transfers that go with heat presses, all you need is a printer, special ink, special paper, a heat press and a shirt. What is the basic equipment to screen print? Is it cheaper, easier? I want to branch out, and have no idea where to begin. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am in the same boat as you Ray. Maybe you could look into a local art class on screen printing. Or maybe you could strike up a friendship with a local screen printer to show you the ropes.
As far as equipment, I dont have a clue either. So I am glad you started this thread!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think there are advantages of both. I don't want the mess of screen printing. But I would like to know more about how it is done. I just knocked out a 100 piece order for tee's and I had to print, cut, press. It was amazing that I had to redo only 3 shirts.. However, I forgot several times to mirror the image...I printed one shirt upside down (did I tell you i was old) My printer jammed and I lost several transfer in trying to fix it.. had to take print back for replacement (warrenty good) But I got extra ink out of the deal and my paper guy (bless him) gave me extra paper because he (never mind on that) so I came out ok.. Lou (old retired guy)

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's a geat link Squirts, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that link it really helped! I am new to all of this and have been reading this site for a few days. That has really helped me on the idea of screen printing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi! I am someone who has started a screenprinting business from absolutely nothing - but faith! I read and read and read about it to make sure I understood the concept. If you have DSL there are some sites out there that have movie clips on how it is done. I would also suggest getting the "How to print T Shirts for fun and profit" book and if you can get the DVD's by the Fresners. Actually it is called...
Introductory Garment Printing Course - US Screen Printing Institute
Those guys will hook you up with more information than your brain can absorb in one sitting!

Although I am not overwhelmed - I have all the business I can handle at this stage of the game.

You are learning about screen printing and now I am learning about heat transfers! Maybe you can give me a few pointers now?! ;)
I just purchased a 11X15 press and I can't wait to get busy! Can you tell me a good place to buy vinyl numbers and letters for athletic wear? I have an order for softball shirts that need names and numbers on the backs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for the great link! One more question that the link didn't answer: is screenprinting cheaper and easier in the long run then printing transfers? Which one is recommended?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ray's Custom Tee said:
One more question that the link didn't answer: is screenprinting cheaper and easier in the long run then printing transfers? Which one is recommended?
For one off shirts Screen printing is not practical at all.... but the more shirts your gonna print the more cost effective it is... They both have their benefits guess it depends on what market your trying to serve.. cant really compare them against each other kinda like apples and oranges... Im a screen printer but my customer base is a couple dozen to a few hundred of the same print and the occasional couple thousand.... heat transfer wouldnt be practical for my market... If I was trying to serve the print-on-demand market then screen printing wouldn't be practical at all..

Many shops serve both markets... by having both types of equipment...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts