T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I f I have a name like "Higher Dreams" and I want to protect this name...is this trademark or opyright?

If I made a design i wanted to protect is this trademark or copy right?

Also what is "Poor mans copyright?"

I called the copyright office about the name she and the told me to call the trademark office. She was kind of rude and really did'nt hear my question.

·
2,957 Posts
johnsmith said:
I f I have a name like "Higher Dreams" and I want to protect this name...is this trademark or opyright?

If I made a design i wanted to protect is this trademark or copy right?

Also what is "Poor mans copyright?"

I called the copyright office about the name she and the told me to call the trademark office. She was kind of rude and really did'nt hear my question.
Trademark the name. Copyright the design. Poor man's copyright is like fools gold! It's not real!!!!!!

Check these out. They should help!;)
http://www.copyright.gov/
http://www.uspto.gov/

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There are lost of threads on these forums covering the basics...

Just a search for "Solmu" might hep...it's one of his pet issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
Trademark the name. Copyright the design. Poor man's copyright is like fools gold! It's not real!!!!!!
Hi

As Comin'OutSwingin says trademark is the name - in the UK it costs about £200 to register a trademark. Copyright is yours automatically when you create a design but this is obviously difficult to prove, I have heard it recommended thet you post the designs registered post to yourself and dont open them when they arrive, so you have proof of when you created them (I don't know if this would stand up in court). In the UK you can also "design register" a design (don't know about US), which when I did it previously I think cost about £100, this is done through the patent office, who does a search for anything similar and then stamps the design and protects your design a liitle more, I thin the big sports companies like NIKE, Adidas etc do this with their trainer designs.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
TROskell said:
I have heard it recommended thet you post the designs registered post to yourself and dont open them when they arrive, so you have proof of when you created them (I don't know if this would stand up in court).
This is the poor man's copyright mentioned above, and as Comin'OutSwingin said it's an urban myth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do a search first at USPTO.gov to see if the name has already been trademarked in IC25 for clothing. If it hasn't, let me know, I have trademarked three names successfully without an attorney and can answer some questions you may have.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do a search first at USPTO.gov to see if the name has already been trademarked in IC25 for clothing. If it hasn't, let me know, I have trademarked three names successfully without an attorney and can answer some questions you may have.

Mike

I have checked to see if my name was listed and it is not..what do you recommend doing now? Going through the US trademark office directly? Have you heard of a company called Legalzoom? They also take care of trademarks. Also, do you recommend trademarking just the company name? or the logo too?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Mike
Hi there, Mike!
How did you go about it without help from an attorney? I don't have a lot of money to get this t-shirt line going.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! I was searching on the forum. Looking for tips on how to limit my trademark cost and came across this thread. I have searched TESS and see that PinkSugarMe is not registered. I am awaiting a logo that should be submitted electronically tonight. At that point, I will make sure that the design is not conflicting either. Can you guide me on the next steps that led to your sucess?

Thank you!
Monique

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I have a question regarding trademarks. I am starting a T shirt company and have my business name but have not filed for my LLC or Business license yet cause I want to make sure the business name I am using has not been trademarked. I am afraid if i get the LLc & business license and start the company selling shirts & hats that i could get into trouble by infringing on someone else s name?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hello, I have a question regarding trademarks. I am starting a T shirt company and have my business name but have not filed for my LLC or Business license yet cause I want to make sure the business name I am using has not been trademarked. I am afraid if i get the LLc & business license and start the company selling shirts & hats that i could get into trouble by infringing on someone else s name?
I'm not exactly sure what your question is. If you want to find out if your brand name is trademarked, search the USPTO website.

Also, there doesn't have to be a correlation between your business name and trademarked brand name. They are separate processes with separate uses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts