T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recently shipped a job for eighteen ss T's.
I did a 6.5 x 12.5 inch simple text company logo on back and a 2 x 3 design on front, all with black cut Thermoflex.
The average cost of the Beefy T shirts was $2.83ea. including shipping and I calculated the cost of the vinyl at $1.16ea. for a total of $71.82 material cost.
I had .5hr design time and my partner and I spent 2.5hrs. to cut/weed/press for a total of 3hrs.
My sell price was $250. aka mat.cost x 3.48 or $83.33hr.
That is a little higher than I would normally make hourly on a cut vinyl job, however I feel since the cost of the shirts as a percentage is more material cost than typical sign work, the extra money is justified.
Just curious if others on the board (whos opinoins I greatly value and appreciate) felt my price was fair or maybe I need to step it up on the pressing time, etc:

·
Registered
506 Posts
If I read it right the sell price was $13.89 per shirt. I don't do vinyl but that seems like a higher than average sell price. On the other hand price is a subjective term. How did the customer feel about the price? It must have been exceptable or you would not have done the job at that price. Did you deliver a quality product within there time frame?

If the sale was made and the customer is happy with their shirts then I would have to say your price was right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The customer seemed pleased with the product, and I'm pleased also.
I just was curious if there was an aspect I might improve on including the price.
My favorite kind of business is repeat business.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if I would have ordered more shirts at one time.
I've noticed the shipping/handling normally runs $12 to $15 per shipment regardless the size of the order, so if I only order six shirts it really drives the price per shirt up compared to say three dozen.
I did also throw in the sample shirt on this order so he got a Bakers dozen.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've noticed the shipping/handling normally runs $12 to $15 per shipment regardless the size of the order, so if I only order six shirts it really drives the price per shirt up compared to say three dozen.
Plus you usually get a discount on shirts when you buy more quantity, so stock up on shirt colors you know you'll be printing a lot of, like whites or blacks.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I order garments 3 times a week to cut, down on shipping cost. I don't stock a lot of garments. I like to keep the inventory down . This policy has helped me to keep cost down. ... JB

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
JB I completely understand the idea of ordering "just in time" to save on inventory costs, but...
Sure is nice to already have shirts in inventory and not have to spend to get shirts for an order. Plus the shipping charges add up.
Would be nice to have about 5 grand to stock up on whites, blacks, and maybe a dozen of each size in popular colors.
Also helps your creativity marketing wise, when you have stock available and payed for ahead of time.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think your pricing was fine, especially since it was a small order. I, too, like to send an extra free sample with my orders, usually something different such as a cap or polo to try to get another type of order.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did also throw in the sample shirt on this order so he got a Bakers dozen.
Those shipping fee's seem high. When I started I used (and still do on occasion) this company for shirts. They have very reasonable shipping. Of course you may be paying less for shirts. This company sells to anybody with a credit card so their pricing is higher than having a business account somewhere.

Shipping - JiffyShirts.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Chip – I will give folks at Jiffy a holla.

I did initially order four dozen shirts for stock, but in my naïve-esness I ordered all Large Medium and Small.
I have since learned a large part of my clientele will want the XL, XXL shirts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
JB I completely understand the idea of ordering "just in time" to save on inventory costs, but...
Sure is nice to already have shirts in inventory and not have to spend to get shirts for an order. Plus the shipping charges add up.
Would be nice to have about 5 grand to stock up on whites, blacks, and maybe a dozen of each size in popular colors.
Also helps your creativity marketing wise, when you have stock available and payed for ahead of time.
Just a thought.
I agree having stock on hand is nice, I do stock T-shirts and some other garments. but my orders are normally large enough to get free shipping.I order 3 times a week to get this. I would stock more inventory ,but space is a issue too. I want to get back to the original question. When calculating a price for the garments all factors need to be figured in. I always calculate shipping cost in, jut in caseI have to pay it. I also suggest checking for sale items and market them heavy while they are on sale. Good luck. ..... JB

·
Registered
82 Posts
how about pricing shirts made with inkjet
it was told to me 3x the cost of what you paid for blank shirt
along with paper and ink and time?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
how about pricing shirts made with ink jet
it was told to me 3x the cost of what you paid for blank shirt
along with paper and ink and time?
I take the cost of goods+the cost materials+shop fees(cost of utilities,rent)for time it takes to make the garment. This will give you total cost and then you add in your profit. I know there are programs made that will help you figure out the pricing structure. .... JB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My pricing method is real simple.

I look at what prices the competition are putting product out at. I then add ten percent onto those prices and market my items on quality and good service.

Profit is not a dirty word.
Neither are higher profits. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checked with a screen-printer to see what he would have charged for the same shirt and it was under $8/shirt, BUT, the customer would have had to order Four dozen shirts minimum, so cheaper per shirt but higher total cost.(about $375). I plan to also check with a smaller shop that would only have a two dozen min. and see where they are price wise.
I'm very comfortable with $15/shirt, a dozen for $150, eighteen for $250, $300 for two dozen.
Question is, are customers going to be?
Due to all the variables involved, I would rather have a set price than have to figure a new price for each job.
Just plan on making more on some jobs less on others but a reasonable overall average.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those shipping fee's seem high. When I started I used (and still do on occasion) this company for shirts. They have very reasonable shipping. Of course you may be paying less for shirts. This company sells to anybody with a credit card so their pricing is higher than having a business account somewhere.

Shipping - JiffyShirts.com
I tried Jiffy on an order and the freight was about half what I normally pay - but - my usual supplier is cheaper per delivered shirt even with the higher shipping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts