T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been very active on the forums, recently, because there are a million and one things going on all around me, every day! Lots of new and interesting things finally happening, so I thought I would take a moment to share some random sample prints we've done in recent weeks.

Keep in mind, most of these are sample prints only, which I use to do wash tests, print settings tests, etc. Although a handful of people are already aware, my production facility has been utilizing a different printer (DTG printer #4, for me, personally) since December, which we have been thoroughly testing and evaluating to determine if our business model can move forward with this particular setup; we're getting closer!

(don't be offended.... it's only a t-shirt!) :D

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Thanks for posting the prints justin :) Nice purples and yellows for sure.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
Justin, give us the rundown on your 3 previous printers. I know about the Kornit, or does that count since it was before December? Tell us your experience and why the others did not work out.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Justin, give us the rundown on your 3 previous printers. I know about the Kornit, or does that count since it was before December? Tell us your experience and why the others did not work out.
I don't want to speak for Justin, but do a search on these forums. He gives more than a rundown on his experiences. I'm sure if he took the time, it would be a book.

;)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
THe way the purples and colors look I highly doubt its an epson based print
Hmm I do not know I would doubt that. you can get very vibrant colors from dupont inks. Here is an example of a design I printed with fushia pink. My epson based printer prints great bright colors :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahahahah Its nice to see so much interest generated, based on my modest equipment decisions. :D

Let me start off with a quick disclaimer: over the years, we each live and learn from our experiences. I have spent the last handful of years, "searching" for the "best" DTG printer for MY business; read that again, please - the best DTG printer for MY business. One reason I don't post as much anymore, is because I was tired of being constantly attacked or criticized for making statements and / or claims that other people disagreed with. I think it is very important to make myself clear on this topic; what is best for ME, might not be the best solution for YOU. Therefore, when I am posting information about my experiences in this industry, I am certainly not telling you or anyone else what you should be looking into. Now, on the flip side, there are many people out there who are, in fact, in the same boat as I am, and who could certainly benefit from much of the information I have garnered over the past several years; this is why I do continue to post, as I live and learn more about the industry.

However, my own experiences have taught me countless valuable lessons, including the concept of LONG TERM testing of any equipment, before I make any sort of concrete commitment to it. As many of you are aware, most of the machines I have owned DID work well.... For awhile. At some point or another, there are always issues that inexplicably come up, completely changing the way you look at them; this is not a sign of flip-flopping or false information, but simply a case of ongoing evaluation revealing hidden issues. Along that same vein, I have chosen to be incredibly cautious about what I say about the printer I am currently using. I believe that, although it is definitely not perfect, it resolves many of my continued concerns, while still leaving room for improvement. I have also been INCREDIBLY pleased with the print quality I have been getting since December, and I am beginning to think that it might be time to set this is stone and move forward full speed! However, I need to be sure that the tiny issues I run into do not become BIG issues that will cause my business to suffer, down the line.

Understand that things have not always been easy for me; when you invest everything you've got into a business like this, and spend your life savings on a machine that costs more than a car, you expect it to work! When it winds up creating more headache than anything, you are left wondering how you are going to fill orders and keep your business alive! A machine purchase of this magnitude is way more than just a petty gamble, for more people; this is their entire business they are putting on the line, and the consequences of failure can be catastrophic. I have had to personally rebuild my business from the ground up, more than once. The mistakes we have made and the half-truths and hype that I (at one time) would eat up in the hopes of finding the Holy Grail of the digital printing industry have most definitely taken their toll, and my business has seen some incredible ups and downs since taking the digital plunge.

With this in mind, I am being as cautious as possible when evaluating this new printer, and I am being even more cautious about disseminating that information to you, the public! We have gone from printing 10 shirts a day, to HUNDREDS of shirts per day, to 10 shirts per day, and back up again; this time around, I don't intend to allow my choice of machine to drag my business down. Instead, I am taking steps to ensure that we can continue to operate and grow in this fledgling industry, which I feel can be INCREDIBLY profitable when approached properly.

So, I will most certainly be offering plenty of news and information in the coming weeks and months, but understand that I am going to be careful in how soon I bring this information forward! Instead of getting ongoing, running commentary of how things are going (good or bad), I am switching to a more subtle "review" type status update, where I will experiment and learn, and then report back how everything goes at certain intervals. I know its not as up-to-the-minute as my old "shoot from the hip, report as I go" approach, but it will hopefully avoid the inevitability of people claiming I am misleading them and flip-flopping. ;)

For the moment, let's just say that the machine I am currently using has proven (thus far) to be reliable, relatively user-friendly, and has shown the ability to consistently produce some of the highest-quality digital printing I have ever been able to achieve. Is it the best? Depends on who you ask. Can other printers reproduce what I am doing, with other machines? Eh, probably..... I know there are lots of good machines out there, that when treated properly, can certainly produce incredible work. There is plenty more I would like to do, to continue to evaluate the effectiveness of this current machine..... As I do this, more information will find its way to the forum(s). Since December, we have not even been promoting or advertising our digital printing services; although we are taking orders and learning the machine, we certainly have not been LOOKING for new orders, as I can't risk overwhelming us at this early stage - in the past, actually GETTING orders has NEVER been a problem, for me.... It has been successfully FILLING those orders that has been difficult, and I need to ensure that never becomes a problem again!

I will post more pics and samples, in the coming weeks, and the identity of my current printer will soon be revealed.... Until then, I am sure there are plenty of clever folks who will be able to pin it down, before I officially announce anything; just don't expect me confirm or deny anything, just yet.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THe way the purples and colors look I highly doubt its an epson based print
I would suggest you take a new look at how those Epson based prints are being done, that you are using to make that determination....... A couple of years ago, I might have agreed with you. However, advancements in ink formulation, RIP adjustment settings, color profiles, etc, have certainly shown huge improvements with the ability to jet Dupont ink through the Epson heads.

One thing I like about Epson print heads, over other brands (and this has been discussed before, at great length): the detail / clarity in the prints simply cannot be matched through print heads that jet much larger droplets of ink.... I've tried. haha

·
Registered
718 Posts
All I wantt to say , What ever works for you is whats best. We found for our business model and structure of how we run our place the Brother machines are the best fit. Unfortunately we were bit hard from our T-jet days and don't wish to relive that. Even after we considered a DTG HM1 and Viper every time somebody talked about an issue my skinned crawled. I know whats in the works for the 782 real soon and I know the machines we owned proved themselves the other day when we printed 300 10x10 images in about 3hours roughly that shipped to Cape Verde Islands West Africa. Again as long as your happy Justin that all that matters. As we are with ours. Support is always important. Actually Brother came by unexpectedly wednesday and did firmware and part upgrades on their own. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Happy your happy.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts