T-Shirt Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
really? hovering was the only difference? i've never really seen a difference when i hovered, but maybe i need to take a closer look!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Only with solid colors.and certain colors so I hate yellow,red, other solid colors not give me as much trouble. I do press after to get moisture out. Sometimes I lower hear a bit and press longer.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
We run many prints through a tunnel dryer prior to heat pressing them - it seems to reduce the "pitting" effect quote a bit. Alternately, we try to hover the heat press for 30 seconds to pre-cure the ink before we press.

Picking the right garments is crucial, but also we have found that these issues are less prevalent when we use the new Image Armor pretreatment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Using image armor and hovered for 90secs, then light press and got lots of pitting. Weird cuz I did a shirt with multi colors and the white solids there were awesome, same type of shirt. Any one else having luck just doing block letters of white? Dont think I wanna hover for 3 mins if that would be the fix, kind of counter productive. Sucks seeing a great print then after cure sucks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had similar issues on a MOD-1 using both Dupont and IA pretreat. It seemed to me that the ink was being shrunk by the heat of the cure. It would tend to get worse the longer I cured.

Hovering for 60 seconds and pressing on light pressure with a teflon sheet seemed to improve the results. Strangely, the problem was worse on a 100 cotton Hanes hoodie than an 80/20 Gildan hoodie.

My results were similar in that it would come off the printer looking great then the color would dull and pit during the pressing stage.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I know what you mean about "ink being shrunk by the heat of the cure" This is what was happening to me with Cotton Heritage 1080 shirts. Even if I tried a short 90 second cure the white ink would seem to shrink, or cure above the shirt, not with the shirt. If I pulled it, it would crack and come off easily. It was a very solid print though, no pitting. Still not sure what was causing it. I attributed it to being the shirt's fault so I stopped using them.
So that happened to you with IA pretreat also? What brand of shirt?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know what you mean about "ink being shrunk by the heat of the cure" This is what was happening to me with Cotton Heritage 1080 shirts. Even if I tried a short 90 second cure the white ink would seem to shrink, or cure above the shirt, not with the shirt. If I pulled it, it would crack and come off easily. It was a very solid print though, no pitting. Still not sure what was causing it. I attributed it to being the shirt's fault so I stopped using them.
So that happened to you with IA pretreat also? What brand of shirt?
Yes, it happened with the IA as well - interestingly, the IA had more trouble with the pitting than the Dupont (although it could have been a difference in application qty.) The garments were black hoodies (Hanes 100% cotton and Gildan 80/20.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
A new challenge but not sure why its happening with image armor. Using a nice ringspun shirt. Getting a good amount of pt on 20 grams and I also printed white ink and waited about 20mins to proceed to print CMYK. the print looked like a fine glossy poster after. So really wanted the shirt to not have any issues with the cure so I hovered for about 5 mins. after hovering, you can see the white creeping through the color creating a speckled mess. Keep in mind I have not cured yet. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
it's quite easy to just do it every morning, and make it a part of your routine. i typically only agitate my white ink every other day or so. i've gone longer, but i would still recommend a daily routine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
it's quite easy to just do it every morning, and make it a part of your routine. i typically only agitate my white ink every other day or so. i've gone longer, but i would still recommend a daily routine.
thanks for your reply. I believe you are referring to shaking the white inks? Sorry I should have been specific, but I was asking about the shaking of the dampers...

please advise, thank you!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
when you print, the movement of the print head will agitate the ink in the dampers a little bit. i just print white blocks of ink until the unmixed ink is gone and pure white is what is printing. if you are printing with white ink every day, then this won't be necessary. it all depends on how much time has passed between white ink prints. overnight won't be a problem. a day or more, and you will have some settling of the white ink.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So the TiO2 slowly settles out of suspension in the ink... I assume that stuff sort of "piles up" like super fine sand in the damper right? If that happens too much, I can only guess the damper must just clog up. Can that TiO2 sludge get beyond the damper and clog the nozzles?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
So the TiO2 slowly settles out of suspension in the ink... I assume that stuff sort of "piles up" like super fine sand in the damper right? If that happens too much, I can only guess the damper must just clog up. Can that TiO2 sludge get beyond the damper and clog the nozzles?
it's possible, but not too likely if you maintain the dampers properly. i wrote a thread in the NeoFlex section regarding damper maintenance. i change out my 4 white ink dampers every 3-4 weeks.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts