T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So yesterday I came into the shop and replaced all the ebay dampers with oem epson units (white side only). I also changed the tip in my ViperOne and I am still not getting good even white coverage...let me rephrase that, I have pretty good prints coming off the printer but after curing I have got major pitting. I have ordered several new ViperOne tips and plan to replace the current tip again hoping that it will fix the issue. I also bumped my air pressure up to 105psi going into the PT canister but that didn't seem to do anything either. Along with increasing the air pressure from the compressor I also switched to using the teflon sheet instead of quilon paper for drying the PT in the hopes that I would get a smoother print surface.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have no clue, but was just wondering if everyone drains the condensation from their compressor on a regular basis, and to use a separator on the outlet .... I don't know just a thought...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So after doing some more tests...I have finally gotten a good solid white as seen in the first pic - BEFORE CURING the ink. The second pic shows what my image looks like AFTER its been cured.

Any suggestions for me? Increase heat, decrease heat, pressure, time etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You're making progress Eric - that's a huge improvement over the first pic you posted.

Is there one thing you did that you can attribute the progress to?
I'm not sure what the situation is honestly. I put twice as much PT as usual on the blank and I got much better white prints. But I am not sure if they will pass the wash test. I have several new ViperOne spray tips coming tomorrow so hopefully that will resolve more of the issues. Its very frustrating!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's all about reducing the pre-treat to that 'sweet point' where you get good white coverage + good wash fastness. This is what Jeff spent so much time experimenting with.

When I pre-treat with the gun and then bush with the Wooster, I like to see the brush strokes in the pre-treat, not heavy but an indication - usually whiteish brush strokes.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Eric I do see a streak line in your print on that fits one where it looks like te viper is streaking. To solve it I actually had to change out the canister, canister top, tip, and the tubes. Not sure which of those solved it, but something was causing it. I actually do not think it was the tip... At least not totally from the tests I had done after replacing each component.
Did you try spraying on a athletic gray shirt to see your pattern more clearly?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Oh, also.. I took the spray valve inside the viper totally apart and cleaner out all the build up. This maybe have helped too. I have a PDF of how to do it. It might take a little bit of time and there is a certain part that is very hard to get off without damaging the threads. I actually did damage mine a but but it still threaded back on so I didn't ruin it. I-group is supposed to be coming out with a tool (or maybe they already did) that gets the valves apart easier without damaging that specific part.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Eric,

i'm just curious if you have tried this on a different brand of shirt. maybe it's possible that the batch of 2001 shirts you have are slightly different which is causing these results. the pits in the white after your cure lends me to think that the weave of the shirt isn't tight, so the ink is pulling back against the threads. i know this style has been printed on successfully, but maybe the ones you have have been re-dyed or something else that is making this happen.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Eric,

i'm just curious if you have tried this on a different brand of shirt. maybe it's possible that the batch of 2001 shirts you have are slightly different which is causing these results. the pits in the white after your cure lends me to think that the weave of the shirt isn't tight, so the ink is pulling back against the threads. i know this style has been printed on successfully, but maybe the ones you have have been re-dyed or something else that is making this happen.
Yes I have tried on a Keya and Cotton Heritage with similar results. I am hoping..scratch that...praying that it all lies in the ViperOne and I can resolve this issue. I am going to try a brand new fresh tip first then I am going to tear the viperone apart and see what's going on if the tip doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
New tips have arrived for the ViperOne and it looks like they have changed the material as they are now green.

The old yellow tips were made from Acetal and the new green tips are Polypropylene which makes me wonder if they are more resistant to the PT.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
New tips have arrived for the ViperOne and it looks like they have changed the material as they are now green.

The old yellow tips were made from Acetal and the new green tips are Polypropylene which makes me wonder if they are more resistant to the PT.
Eric, the tips in a Wagner spray gun are poly. I've been using my gune for 2 years and hardly ever clean the tip. This was discussed in another thread and others using the Wagner sprayer confirmed they've experienced no degradation in the tips. :D

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am getting a much more even spray pattern now that I have changed the tips. I test sprayed on a blue paper towel first, which shows the pattern very well...then I moved on to an Athletic Heather Gray shirt which also shows the pattern very well and both looked great. The Athletic Heather Gray shirt printed great but still shows some pitting in the solid white areas. Its MUCH MUCH better than before but still not perfect...I am OCD about the quality of my prints since I charge a premium for my service. I will post a pic in just a second.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting perfection Eric, it's what we all strive to achieve. Unfortunately shirt manufacturers aren't as bothered and often, shirts from the same source can vary.

Grey shirts generally contain a polyester content to which pre-treatment/white ink won't stick. Typically 5% poly content could result in 5% of the design not sticking.

Just a consideration in this particular case. :confused:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That looks pretty good to me Eric. I doubt you would get a complaint about that. And like John said, that could just be the rest of printing on grays now with a little poly in them. You still want me to send u that PDF?
Maybe I am being to hard on myself...to the average customer they would be great. But as a designer and perfectionist I am looking for flawless and I know thats almost impossible but I have had better prints than this in the past.

Jeff please send me that PDF still...never know I might still tear the PT machine apart.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think AA might just be getting tips somewhere else. I'm working on a new tip and material that are more resistance to pretreatment. Even though tips looks good a lot times is not perfect and that's the different between good and great.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I got my new tip(s) directly from Brian Walker...AKA the ViperOne MFG. I haven't confirmed it with him but I bet they have gone to a more resilient material this time.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts