T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)
My name is Krissy and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I want to make t shirts.... and that's as far into this as I've gotten, LoL. I'm starting from scratch, the words screen printing, silk screening, etc... I have no idea what they really mean. But I'm stubborn and when I get an idea in my head I run with it.
I've been interested in designing t shirts for a while, and I've finally gotten to the point where I need to something new, something for myself.
I've been in the mortgage business for 4 years (*wooo excitement*), I'll be 24 next month, I'm single, no kids. Seems like good time to jump in. Luckily my buddy (ex-husband/best friend/kinda dating again) took a class (though it was about 6 years ago) and has a small idea of what I'm hoping to do.
Anyhoo... I'm excited to be here and will probably have plenty of questions in the future. The one I'd like to start out with is.... Is there a book, possibly I could pick up at the library today, for beginners on this subject? Anything you guys recommend is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You have options. Screen printing or heat transfer. Screen printing , costly, and need to learn a lot. Heat transfer, not as costly, easy to learn. I heat transfer. Got book from Library called "The complete Guide to screen printing"Brad Faine is the Author. I am reading it now. I think I will stay with heat transfers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
kentphoto said:
Hello,

Here's a silscreening equipment site: http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/

I found their videos to be sort of helpful. You can watch them from their site as MPegs.
so, if you were new...what would you be looking at on here?

also, do most people recommend starting in heat press? or should you try to learn screen printing because the quality is better? advice? opinions?

·
2,957 Posts
You don't have to learn to heat press or screen print.

You can definitely outsource. Many of us here do (me included) and can still make a nice profit from the sale of a shirt.

I think it really matters as to what you like and how hands on you want to be. Also how you value the time spent on business.

I actually don't think I could be as successful as I wanted to be, if I had to learn to screen print or heat press all of my shirts myself. And really, volume also has a lot to do with it. I think screen printing is best if there is going to be any volume to the amount of shirts sold. Especially if you are a small operation. Outsourcing screen printing frees up time for lots of other pertinent business matters, such as working on your site, filling orders, etc.

So it really depends on the type of business you want, the volume you will be selling, and the market you are trying to reach.

Lots of variables and decisions to make.

I would suggest reading through the different subjects on the forum, and learning as much as I could. There's a TON of info on all sorts of things, and is a good place to start if you aren't sure where to start.

And it's FREE!!!

And welcome to the forums!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the hello's & advice!!
I'll be ordering 'How to Print T-Shirts for Fun and Profit.' I read the reviews on amazon, but couldn't find it today at my local library, Barnes & Noble or Books a Million.
Oh, be prepared for my random, probably dumb questions to pour out on a regular basis. ;)

·
2,957 Posts
SpringSong said:
Oh, be prepared for my random, probably dumb questions to pour out on a regular basis. ;)
I ask dumb ones all the time!:D

Seriously, don't worry. Everybody here learns from everybody else. Bring on the questions, and I'm sure somebody will be able to help!;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I am a rookie also. I know that there is a lot to learn. I cant tell you how much this site has helped me. You will find unlimited amount of individuals willing to help you, including the oracle himself, Rodney. If you dont already know who he is, you will =). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There are dozens and dozens of different routes. Some of the biggest names in the business have never even printed a shirt themselves. It depends on the scale you're aiming at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am a newbie here too.
I have a general purpose site for you which I have used for some time now, it is: thenewbieclub.com
They give you tons of info. for free; some good free downloads too.
Whenever I have bought something from them it has been worth the money; for real....
Any other newbies out there - check this site out - it is very helpful
Thanks,Cosmo/Eileen

·
Registered
353 Posts
BurnTees said:
so, if you were new...what would you be looking at on here?

also, do most people recommend starting in heat press? or should you try to learn screen printing because the quality is better? advice? opinions?

You'd be looking at the first page, and the link to instructional videos. This should take you to this page:

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/page/543290

Just to get an idea of how it's done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts