T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a good software that has popular logos such as nike and what not. It must give the capability to switch the text into whatever the user wants. Does anybody have a recommendations???

·
2,957 Posts
TenaciousTees said:
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a good software that has popular logos such as nike and what not. It must give the capability to switch the text into whatever the user wants. Does anybody have a recommendations???
Curious. Are you looking to do parody shirts?

Rodney said:
Watch out for those trademarks :)
I couldn't agree more!:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do so. I just wanted to do parody shirts, not just print the emblems on shirts, but thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Keep in mind that a parody on t-shirts for sale could still get you in trouble (sued from the company that owns the trademark).

Make sure you're ready to handle any legal challenges that may arise from working with parodied logos.

If you are using the actual logo and changing the saying, I think you are more likely to get in trouble (sued) than if you are changing the companies logo to something similar (because you would still be trying to profit from that companies trademark).

·
Registered
250 Posts
It seems to be a common misconception that calling something a "parody" somehow protects the creator of the "parody" from legal action. When the certified letters start rolling in don't fool yourself into thinking that you've won the lottery or that some long lost relative has left you a llama farm in Wyoming... it's a cease and desist order.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Rodney said:
Keep in mind that a parody on t-shirts for sale could still get you in trouble (sued from the company that owns the trademark).

Make sure you're ready to handle any legal challenges that may arise from working with parodied logos.

If you are using the actual logo and changing the saying, I think you are more likely to get in trouble (sued) than if you are changing the companies logo to something similar (because you would still be trying to profit from that companies trademark).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And thus, this is the reason for me saying that this forum is heaven sent. I am just starting to get into the t-shirt business so it is a blessing to get information from those who have more experience in the matter than myself. Moreover, anything that I find to be an assumption on my behalf will be posted here and answered by individuals such as Rodney who are willing to give solid advice in such matters while keeping in mind that most individuals on the forum are rookies in the business. With that being said, I will not pursue such venture. Thanks for the heads up though.

DickTees.net said:
It seems to be a common misconception that calling something a "parody" somehow protects the creator of the "parody" from legal action. When the certified letters start rolling in don't fool yourself into thinking that you've won the lottery or that some long lost relative has left you a llama farm in Wyoming... it's a cease and desist order.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
No problem :)

Some people do sell parody t-shirts and get away with it (for awhile). Some companies have legal teams that advise them how to get close to the line without crossing it.

But if you're going to get into the parody shirt arena, you just have to be aware that there may be legal challenges. There are companies whose whole job is to search websites and forums for infringements on their client's trademarks. These companies then notify the law firms that hire them so they can go into action (as Jay/dicktees can attest to). I've also received a few cease and desist notices from infringing designs just being listed at t-shirtcountdown.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the feedback Rodney. I appreciated

Rodney said:
No problem :)

Some people do sell parody t-shirts and get away with it (for awhile). Some companies have legal teams that advise them how to get close to the line without crossing it.

But if you're going to get into the parody shirt arena, you just have to be aware that there may be legal challenges. There are companies whose whole job is to search websites and forums for infringements on their client's trademarks. These companies then notify the law firms that hire them so they can go into action (as Jay/dicktees can attest to). I've also received a few cease and desist notices from infringing designs just being listed at t-shirtcountdown.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts