T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been designing t-shirts for about 10 years off & on for my family reunions, football teams, church events, etc. All of my designs have been with MS Powerpoint. I am by far no master illustrator, but I am an expert in Powerpoint at I have got the job done with very little expense over the years (except paying to have the shirts printed). I am now looking into making my own designs with a little more detail, which Powerpoint does not provide. Can anyone advise of a good software product that does not cost a small fortune?

Appreciated in advance!

· Registered
1,534 Posts
When you're just starting out, Corel is a very attractive package. It's one of the first programs I learned. I find that a lot more people around here use it than I expected. Corel Draw is very intuitive, and very powerful in general, and dirt cheap compared to the competition Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Corel Suite comes with Draw and Photopaint. A lot of Corel users absolutely detest Illustrator because once you've used something so smart an intuitive as Draw, you can't comprehend how Illustrator can be so unintuitive. Recent versions of Adobe products have stolen enough from Corel to improve on this somewhat, but Draw is still much more intuitive. I used to be one of those people who hated Illustrator. LOL

Draw is competitor to Illustrator and Photopaint is a photo editing app like Photoshop. There are a couple other things in the box and it all costs considerably less than the cost of just Illustrator! You'll be on your way quickly to making art in Corel Draw because of it's intuitiveness. But as a professional, I would quickly advise you to spend the extra money and take the Adobe route. I feel very strongly about it's superiority, both Illustrator and Photoshop. When you get down to the nitty gritty of total flexibility of manipulating art, and making things print, Illustrator, in all of it's unglorious untuitiveness, begins to shine brightly and Draw begins to pale. Photoshop simply has no equal. Nothing else to be said about Photoshop except, I can't say enough good things about it. I still wouldn't call it intuitive, but otherwise, it's a monster of a powerful program. It's amazingly stable, predictable, and WYSIWYG.

I hope I haven't made your decision more difficult.

· Registered
43 Posts
Try using this The Gimp

Its a free photoshop alternative that works just as well (I've used both)

Remember, in the days of the world wide web, there is always an alternative to shelling out 500 bucks on software you might not need (and I don't mean pirated software either)

I've used the gimp on all of my designs at joecrogan.com, as well as all the images, from type to hand drawn artwork and photo manipulation.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.