T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a used DTG K2 with ink sitting in it for god knows how long. Thinking I'm going to have to replace print head and capping station, and since the clogged ones are probably beyond repair, maybe I'd just get a large jar, fill it with witch hazel and completely submerge the head and station for a couple weeks. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
A dried up capping station is usually beyond repair

I have heard several people can bring a printhead back to life but it takes experience and knowing of how to take it apart and put it back together without delaminating the head.

Rule of thumb when Refurbishing a K2, replace the printhead, capping station assembly (pump, wipers and capping station) and ribbon cable.

If ink has been sitting in the ink lines those should be replaced along with the waste ink lines.

You will never get a good ink flow if you don't have a clear path from the ink to the waste ink.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Witch Hazel... wow that's a new one. Never seen anyone try using that, most people try alcohol. Most cleaning fluids are ammonia based, but I would go with whatever the manufacturer recommends you use.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Alcohol is a drying agent and shouldn't be used as any part of your cleaning methods.

Household ammonia and warm distilled water 50/50 is a good cleaning soltuion for stubborn clogs and a 100% warm distilled water to flush out ammonia.

Origninal formula Windex with 50/50 with distilled water is a good everyday cleaner.

Belquette has a HMS (head maintenance solution) product that is very powerful head cleaning solution and should be used with caution.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
A new print head is around $200 from www.dtginks.com, get two and you will save yourself a lot of trouble. We keep one or two spares of all consumable parts on hand all the time just in case we have a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new print head is around $200 from www.dtginks.com, get two and you will save yourself a lot of trouble. We keep one or two spares of all consumable parts on hand all the time just in case we have a problem.

Looks like they're up to $475 now

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supposedly Witch Hazel is very safe for plastics. I just wonder how much H2O is in it and if it will rust the metal parts of the head. Remember I'm talking about completely submerging the entire thing for a couple weeks here.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts

Looks like they're up to $475 now
wow, glad i got mine before the price increase.

Checked around and that is probably the best price. I know epson has been pissy about them getting sent out. Good way to kill a market.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you submerge it completely, you will kill it's ability to be used electrically. It will make a nice clean paperweight for your desk. I have one right here, it keeps the papers from blowing away nicely.

Use a syringe and some tubing and try to pull cleaning fluid through it while it sits in a small puddle in a dish. If it won't do that easily, it will never come close to printing shirts. I've cleaned several epson 2200 heads out of regular printers this way, and used them to print shirts in my Kiosk2.

Look on you tube, there are lots of guys showing how to salvage heads with ultrasonic cleaners and vac pumps...but these heads are not clogged with DTG ink!

A print head clogged with dtg ink for more than a few days is a lost cause, and a bad capping station will kill even a new head in short order.

Q: Are you starting a business, or is this a hobby for you? If you want to make money, invest in the machine so it will print shirts, and thereafter NEVER miss doing your DAILY maintenance. If it's a hobby, take your time and have fun...:rolleyes:

The choice is yours. Good luck either way!

-dANNY8bALL
www.sanjosescreenprinting.com

PS get it to work, print 20 shirts and you have your money back on the repair...:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can call Epson directly and get the print head straight from them. Theres only one Person that you can contact but just tell whoever you reach that you have "x" model of Epson printer and you need to purchase a print head. I know the 4880 Epson print head is $250 from Epson directly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"f you submerge it completely, you will kill it's ability to be used electrically. It will make a nice clean paperweight for your desk. I have one right here, it keeps the papers from blowing away nicely."

Good advice. Thank you, sir.

Just curious--why would submerging it effect the electronics if there is no electric charge going through it and if witch hazel is non corrosive to aluminum and silicone? And of course providing I let it dry out completely,

·
Registered
481 Posts
Have you removed the head yet? it's not made to be a "submersable" It will never "dry" all the way out again. Curiousity is fine, but making money is finer...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Which hazel will actually cause ink to coagulate. I tried some experimentation and watched it happen very quickly. Submerging the entire head isn't a good idea. I have tried that too and although I did have one that worked somewhat the hundreds since have been a failure. Best way that I have found is to submerge the bottom portion of the head, using something to hold the electronics and connectors out of the solution, and use a syringe to pull solution from bottom through the ports on top. I have had relative success with simple green and distilled water. I also like the HMS cleaning solution from Belquette.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just curious--why would submerging it effect the electronics if there is no electric charge going through it and if witch hazel is non corrosive to aluminum and silicone? And of course providing I let it dry out completely,
Would you dip your cell phone in water even though you took the battery out?:)
Same applies for the printheads. Every printhead uses electrcity to print. It uses tiny little volts to lay down ink. The larger the volt = the larger the drop. The longer the volt = a bigger ink line. So damaging the electronicscan cause volt misfires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts