T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are falling apart quite rapidly. I will give you updates until our power fails. Be safe but be smart. The track keeps moving closer to us so I expect damage similar to Alecia...and that just sux.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Be careful David and best of luck to you. I hope things don't get to rough down there... I think we're going to escape from this one but I'll be thinking about ya. Stay safe....

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My brother is outside of Houston in Katy. I used to live in South Florida. never been through an actual one, but close enough. Take it easy bro.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I wish you all the best DUDE. I was 120 miles from the eye of a Hurricane once. It was on a cruise ship.That was a real scary thing.I hope all will be fine. ... JB

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you alll...I must admit having been here most of my life,,,this one has me a bit out of sorts. I think we are in for a day of reckonining. Its just lipsick on a pig for me so we will tramp forward. Kinda sucks as my brother came home from his travels wirh maleria....well go figure that one!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Live outside of Daytona Beach. We've weathered a few.. had alotta rain from the past few storms too. A few hits in the past. The only thing I fear is the tornadoes that spawn from it. We are about 20 miles inland, but I probably wouldnt have the same thoughts on the beach. Though scary they can be, the important thing is to prepare or just simply get the eff out. Don't wait to make things happen.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its 8:20 am and awoke to blue skies and just a breath of wind. The island is having problems, waves are overtopping the 9 foot seawall and the historic warehouse district on the bayside known as the strand is flooding. We are still about 16- 18 hours from landfall. I think the storm surge expected to be between 12 and 20 feet will cover Galveston island. The west end beach communities and houses along the beach are flooding right now.

I am going out to search for ice this morning. Supermarket lines were twenty folks deep all day on Thursday. I saw some crazy things happen at the gas station as well...panic creates chaos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been watching the news and we are starting to get a lot of evacuees from the Houston area here in San Antonio. Be careful and stay safe. Were here for you in SA if you need to get out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Loud, windy and wet. :)

Grew up in Puerto Rico so I've seen my fair share of them. Stay indoors. Open the leeward windows so the pressure doesn't blow the roof off the house. Fill up the bathtub for drinking/flushing water. Stay away from the windows. Have buckets & pots ready to catch leaks.

Oh yeah, when it's time to rebuild, consider building out of reinforced concrete. It's butt-ugly, but it'll survive many, many storms. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Things are looking ugly in Galveston.
Here in close-in NW Houston we are as prepared as we can be.
Windows are boarded, all the outside stuff secured, generators and fuel in place.
Wine and corkscrew handy.
Small dog that we rescued from the storm drain this morning napping in the dog crate.
Come on Ike, let's get this show on the road so it can be over.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noontime and my ice run this morning was fruitless. Went by home depot around 9 to get a couple 6 volts for a flashlight. There was a line of about 75 folks waiting to purchase $800 generators. The silly thing was the computer register system was down and each purchase be it a $5.00 battery or an $800 genny was at least a twenty minute average. These folks didnt have the sense enough to do manual transactions or even attemp to have a calculator on hand. We waited about 45 minutes and left. I only saw one geeny leave the store as we waited. Most folks just gave up. That company lost a major amout of busineess waiting on those registers.

Went to my local hardware store, got what I wanted and an extra mag lite and was out in five minutes.

The sky is cloudy now with a steady breeze but no rain yet. Galveston is being destroyed and the storm is still about 12 hours away.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Stay safe David :) I hope it moves thru quickly without to much fuss.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its almost 8pm and still no rain. We lost power around 4:30 and got it back around 6:00 pm. I was just about to do some grilling and saw the lights come back on. This thing is still about 4-5 hours away from impact and from the news coverage Galveston is going under water. The wind right now is about 25 mph but not really a sustained wind. The calm before the storm is exactly the experience. Our electric grid among all the trees just sux. I will post again in a couple hours if we still have power.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's a little after 8 p.m. here and the wind has really picked up but no rain.
So far no power outages but that will come at some time I'm sure.
Glad we don't have pine trees in our yard.
They are always the first to blow down in this kind of weather.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That place is probably going to look like a war zone afterwards. It did when Andrew blew through town in Florida. Did Galveston get hit hard in the 80's?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts