T-Shirt Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks Rodney. I am so new to the terminology of transfers, I feel a little silly. :) Actually, the next morning after I asked that question, I found out the transfers we use in the store I run right now are mostly plastisol. Oh well, no such thing as a stupid question, right?? lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of getting a heat press to do ceramic tiles. At the moment I decoupage my designs on the tiles and understand that sublimation is much better! Can anyone recommend a good starter press as well as a place to get good reasonable tiles?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a Hotronix AutoClam to supplement our screenprinting business by being able to personalize printed garments with names and numbers. I've used it on a few jobs and love it. Easy to use; relatively low investment.

Have also used it on very short runs with custom transfers. Saves us time in the shop because we don't have the screen set up time for a very short run (less than 24).

I've gotten transfers from Transfer Express. Good quality but a little pricey. Is there anything out there that will give me comparable quality at a lower cost?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I've gotten transfers from Transfer Express. Good quality but a little pricey. Is there anything out there that will give me comparable quality at a lower cost?
With a few minor exceptions, everybody. Transfer Express is the most expensive transfer maker by a large margin (except for ENV), anywhere from 2.5-4X the price of other quality printers.

If you aren't in a hurry, First Edition is the least expensive. Dowling is also inexpensive but slow. Ace is not too expensive for basic transfers but their pricing matrix is complex and they have hefty ganging charges which put them among the most expensive. Ace does not do 4 color process. F&M is inexpensive and fairly quick, they also offer 4 color process. Versatranz is very quick but a little more expensive (but still less than TE). I chose F&M as my standard, with Versatranz as a backup for quick turnarounds and Universal for my digital transfers.

There are other transfer makers out there but I am less familiar with them... like Howard and KE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i finally got my heat press machine and was trying to make some tshirts and i encountered this problem:

when trying to peel of the paper after heat press, parts of the design remained in the paper? what did i do wrong? is it the temperature, or the time i used in pressing?

I used 392 degrees F and 6 seconds...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
392 for 6 seconds seems like an odd combination. The time is about right for plastisol but the temperature seems on the high side.
(emphasis added)

Agreed; I was thinking the temperature sounded about right for dye sublimation, but the time was on the low side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kind of transfers, what kind of press?

392 for 6 seconds seems like an odd combination. The time is about right for plastisol but the temperature seems on the high side.

its an unbranded manual heat press machine and im trying to transfer this precut stickers/ designs that i got online (thompsontransfers).

Thank you so much for your help...

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.