T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My first tip... dont forget to peel the back of the paper off the transfer before heat pressing!! Seems to be a common sense thing but you would be surprised how many of us have done it several times.

Hmm? I guess you mean when using opaque papers? Have to specify; a lot of folks don't even use opaques at all =)

Is there a company that makes these thats considereed to be more reliable or just flat out better than the rest? Would love to know before i make such a purchase.

Not really. You should be fine with most any major company; just avoid those cheapo eBay presses made of wood and whatnot. If I had to pick one company known for excellence it would be Hix, but as I said several other brands will last for a long, long time as well.

Stay tuned :) But suffice to say, I like to "go big" when I get into stuff.

*imagines Rodney with some 50"x50" press laughing maniacly next to it like an evil overlord*

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Great, I'll keep and eye out for you both. Lou should be easy to spot, him being a film star and all. I'll be the wide eyed newbie walking about!

Seriously, If you'd like to meet up, that'd be great. Send me a PM with time & place... maybe Imprintables Warehouse booth or what not. I'm either leaving Thur night or Friday morning. Can't decide whether to drive or fly down.

Jim
Film star!! more like direct to video... I am driving down from Stockton and leaving at 3 AM Friday morning. so I can have breakfast at my old job with my assistant who took my place (VA Medical Wilshire & 405)
I am making reservations today for poor mans motel Super 8 in Long Beach. Anyonewho wants to catch up with me and you don't catch me on floor I think we should try the imprintables booth 12 ish. I will be wearing my black long sleeve tee and a black baseball hat.(It helps me look slimmer and hides the bald head.) Jim You driving down alone. I am.. Welcome to hitch a ride. Anyone else in area. I think Rodney is flying? I am driving back Sunday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Super, let's plan to meet at the Imprintables booth at noon on Friday.

Thanks for your offer to hitch a ride. Can't decide whether to drive or fly - thinking I would drive down. Kind of depends on my work load at the time. Trying to convince a friend of mine to come too. I'll check with you later once I get my plan together.

Also any chance one could pick up one the demo models at the show for a good price? :) That would certainly make the long drive worth it!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Also any chance one could pick up one the demo models at the show for a good price? That would certainly make the long drive worth it!
I have never been to any trade show befoore that did not offer show discounts. Also remember Coastal Business is giving discounts to members of the forum.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
After reading this forum for over a year, and seeing what heat transfers can do, I've decided to jump in and experience the heat press/heat transfer world first hand.
yeah well, it has not been easy on this board ME making people aware what can be done with plastisol transfers and how easy they are to apply.

Actually i found myself discouraged with some of the BAD rep replies I have received. But i continue to beleive that once peeps try the real good stuff they will never look back. Yourself included Rodney.

I wish you the best in your new venture. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucy,

Do tell more about the plastisol transfers. I just heard about them at the Long Beach show. I'm a small-time t-shirt designer that's been taking my business to the local screenprinter for the past year and half. Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process? Do you need a big industrial heat press to use it? OR one of the machines referenced in this discussion? What's the average upfront fee to set up the design and run batch of transfers?

All ears,
Althea

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Lucy,

Do tell more about the plastisol transfers. I just heard about them at the Long Beach show. I'm a small-time t-shirt designer that's been taking my business to the local screenprinter for the past year and half. Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process? Do you need a big industrial heat press to use it? OR one of the machines referenced in this discussion? What's the average upfront fee to set up the design and run batch of transfers?

All ears,
Althea
Hi Althea,

btw. one of my dear, long time friends name is Althea too.

Well, all you really need is a good heat press machine. It takes up a few square feet of space only and plugs in to your wall outlet (make sure you have at least a 20 amp wall plug).

Then, a good economical way of making custom transfers (they are the same quality as screen printing) is to do up a few of your designs that use the same colors and gang them up on a transfer sheet. Sheet size are like: 10x12, 12x14, 12x18, 25x38, 28x40. So the more designs you can fit on a sheet the lower the cost per design will be. :)

The larger the sheet size and the number of colors per sheet the more expensive it gets. So, it's a good idea to start with 1-2-3 color designs if you can. You can always grow from there.

That's it, from there you print your design transfers on shirts, panties etc... as you need and the quality is amaizing.

You can also buy ready made transfer designs and use them to create your own stuff too.

Any other questions just ask/post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucy, one more Q:

How do you transfer the image to the transfer paper? Do you just your computer's printer? Ink jet? Laser jet? REally basic (and embarrassing questions), but I'm ready to admit complete ignorance. :p

Do tell!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Thanks, Lucy!
Which heat press did you say you're using? And where/what brand of transfer paper do you use/recommend?
Here I use a Basix 15x15 (old one), but I'm getting a Stahls Automatic 16x20 Heat Press in the near future if all works out.

Any of the brand name presses are good. Stahls, Hix and so on. I think a fellow here on the board "Josh" from imprintables sells them too.

As for paper, I mainly use Plastisol Transfers. These you can get custom made with your designs or buy them as stock design tranfers from catalog companies,

here is a catalog transfer company short list:

the wildside
airwaves
x-it
impulse wear

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Lucy, one more Q:

How do you transfer the image to the transfer paper? Do you just your computer's printer? Ink jet? Laser jet? REally basic (and embarrassing questions), but I'm ready to admit complete ignorance. :p

Do tell!
:D ...funny. Believe me, you are far from ignorance. You are just asking questions, that's all.

No, I don't use digital transfers much (computer/ink jet etc.). Also, Im not a designer. :eek:

Around here, we make the transfers with screen printing equipment. The artwork is provided by the customer, we make the films/screens and screen print the designs on transfer release paper.

These types of transfers usually designers/brands don't make them themselfs, they contract out the making of the transfers to transfer makers.

But, if you are starting out, I think you can get a bubble jet printer for $ 50 or something, it does have it's benefits like it will enable you to make full color transfers at a very low cost, one off's. But the quality is not the best to enter the Branding Market nor to be sold at commercial level.

It really depends on your budget and your goal.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process?
Plastisol transfers are basically heat transfers that are printed by screen printers. Instead of printing onto the shirt, they print the design (with plastisol screen printing ink) onto transfer/release paper and then ship that printed paper to you so you can press it on the shirts as you need them with a heat press.

You can't print plastisol transfers at home. Some plastisol transfer printers have low minimums (like 6 or 8 sheets), but the bonus is that you can place several designs on one sheet (especially one line text designs).

Pricing will vary depending on the number of colors in the design and the quantity ordered. If you have a heat press, you can contact a few of the companies in this thread for samples and they'll send you some with their pricing sheets.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.