T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
After reading this forum for over a year, and seeing what heat transfers can do, I've decided to jump in and experience the heat press/heat transfer world first hand.
yeah well, it has not been easy on this board ME making people aware what can be done with plastisol transfers and how easy they are to apply.

Actually i found myself discouraged with some of the BAD rep replies I have received. But i continue to beleive that once peeps try the real good stuff they will never look back. Yourself included Rodney.

I wish you the best in your new venture. :D

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Lucy,

Do tell more about the plastisol transfers. I just heard about them at the Long Beach show. I'm a small-time t-shirt designer that's been taking my business to the local screenprinter for the past year and half. Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process? Do you need a big industrial heat press to use it? OR one of the machines referenced in this discussion? What's the average upfront fee to set up the design and run batch of transfers?

All ears,
Althea
Hi Althea,

btw. one of my dear, long time friends name is Althea too.

Well, all you really need is a good heat press machine. It takes up a few square feet of space only and plugs in to your wall outlet (make sure you have at least a 20 amp wall plug).

Then, a good economical way of making custom transfers (they are the same quality as screen printing) is to do up a few of your designs that use the same colors and gang them up on a transfer sheet. Sheet size are like: 10x12, 12x14, 12x18, 25x38, 28x40. So the more designs you can fit on a sheet the lower the cost per design will be. :)

The larger the sheet size and the number of colors per sheet the more expensive it gets. So, it's a good idea to start with 1-2-3 color designs if you can. You can always grow from there.

That's it, from there you print your design transfers on shirts, panties etc... as you need and the quality is amaizing.

You can also buy ready made transfer designs and use them to create your own stuff too.

Any other questions just ask/post.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Thanks, Lucy!
Which heat press did you say you're using? And where/what brand of transfer paper do you use/recommend?
Here I use a Basix 15x15 (old one), but I'm getting a Stahls Automatic 16x20 Heat Press in the near future if all works out.

Any of the brand name presses are good. Stahls, Hix and so on. I think a fellow here on the board "Josh" from imprintables sells them too.

As for paper, I mainly use Plastisol Transfers. These you can get custom made with your designs or buy them as stock design tranfers from catalog companies,

here is a catalog transfer company short list:

the wildside
airwaves
x-it
impulse wear

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Lucy, one more Q:

How do you transfer the image to the transfer paper? Do you just your computer's printer? Ink jet? Laser jet? REally basic (and embarrassing questions), but I'm ready to admit complete ignorance. :p

Do tell!
:D ...funny. Believe me, you are far from ignorance. You are just asking questions, that's all.

No, I don't use digital transfers much (computer/ink jet etc.). Also, Im not a designer. :eek:

Around here, we make the transfers with screen printing equipment. The artwork is provided by the customer, we make the films/screens and screen print the designs on transfer release paper.

These types of transfers usually designers/brands don't make them themselfs, they contract out the making of the transfers to transfer makers.

But, if you are starting out, I think you can get a bubble jet printer for $ 50 or something, it does have it's benefits like it will enable you to make full color transfers at a very low cost, one off's. But the quality is not the best to enter the Branding Market nor to be sold at commercial level.

It really depends on your budget and your goal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.