T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings I am trying to get a shirt printed with a smoke theme. I want to caputre the effect like seen here:

[media]http://blog.houseoffraser.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/wl-12.jpg[/media]
I'm told I need line are but smoke aint line art...

These are the 2 designs I want, for now simple black on a white shirt. How ever in the future I would like to be able to change the color. You can see that there is a layer with a blue radial gradient in the back. How could I capture the color and make green or red?

Any help is appreciated, this has been an on going battle.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok so when the company asks me for the file as is right now its just photoshop art. Is there a way to convert the file in photoshop to halftones before I give it to them? The screen printer and I discussed halftones so they are capable of doing them but wouldnt the file need to be converted somehow? Forgive my ignorance I am a novice.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
you can do the halftones directly in the separation, altho it's more common to do it via a RIP when outputting film.

the halftoning would be done at the final stage of separation, you create your channels as needed for each film. then, doing one channel at a time, you duplicate the channel into a new document. that new document is now just the one channel. change mode to bitmap
Image>mode>bitmap
resolution:
input = whatever your image resolution is
output = 300ppi or higher (depending on the input resolution)
for the 'method' you will want to choose "halftone screen..."

halftone screen:
frequency = this depends on what mesh count will be used
angle = 21 or 22.5 or whatever works for you
shape = ellipse or dot

same the file and give it a name so you know what screen/color it is.
repeat for the other screens needed.
now you have each screen setup with halftones already generated.
you now have each screen separated into it's own document and can print those out directly or use them in other ways (example, place into a vector program)
there's several different methods that can be used, this is a basic method.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
This can be easily printed using a DTG printed. No need to go thru the headaches of doing a simulated process. Simply find some smoke brushes for photoshop. Add them to you design however you want and save the file with a transparent background. Find a quality DTG shop in your area and you will have a custom printed t-shirt in a matter of minutes in some cases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This can be easily printed using a DTG printed. No need to go thru the headaches of doing a simulated process. Simply find some smoke brushes for photoshop. Add them to you design however you want and save the file with a transparent background. Find a quality DTG shop in your area and you will have a custom printed t-shirt in a matter of minutes in some cases.
It's not that simple. I just had something with a smoke design printed in which I used the smoke brushes for, and the white showed behind the smoke brush that I had in color. So whatever part of the brush faded, it came out white.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
It's not that simple. I just had something with a smoke design printed in which I used the smoke brushes for, and the white showed behind the smoke brush that I had in color. So whatever part of the brush faded, it came out white.
If everything looked good on screen but printed oddly then most likely this is due to the RIP software's limitations. Of course this only effects those using DTG printing.

Here is a prime example of how the 2 different RIP's interpret the same image - sorry for the bad cell phone pic but it clearly shows the difference and its of an image with smoke and flames.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If everything looked good on screen but printed oddly then most likely this is due to the RIP software's limitations. Of course this only effects those using DTG printing.

Here is a prime example of how the 2 different RIP's interpret the same image - sorry for the bad cell phone pic but it clearly shows the difference and its of an image with smoke and flames.
OMG! this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. So there's no way that DTG can print out designs to look like the photo on the left?

Attached are the photos that I'm trying to print. But none of them came out right on the DTG, can you please help?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Both of those images were printed on the new Epson F2000 DTG printer just different RIP software. The image on the left was printed using the NeoRip PrintPro 2000 and the image on the right was printed using the stock Epson Garment Creator RIP.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you some more information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both of those images were printed on the new Epson F2000 DTG printer just different RIP software. The image on the left was printed using the NeoRip PrintPro 2000 and the image on the right was printed using the stock Epson Garment Creator RIP.

Just sent you a PM, thank you so much for your help!!

·
Registered
7 Posts

The machine that we used to print my design (which didn't come out like I wanted) was the brother machine. Which to my knowledge has RIP software built in. I was told by those printing the design that there are a few steps taken before printing to make sure that the smoke effects come out the way it shows on the picture. Would you by chance know the steps needed to take?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.