T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to come to an area by a business owner that I met in a town 50 miles from where his business was. I came personally to his place of business to help him with his artwork and selections of garments. Since he ordered a few dozen shirts with their logo I decided to take some time and introduce myself to a few of the other businesses in the immediate area ... leaving with them a business card here and there ... and generating invites back by another business when I bring my customer their tshirts. Later in the afternoon heading back to my home base I get a phone call from an irate guy who said he was the area screenprinter and he had the area covered for tshirts and that he would undercut my prices and all this hating other nonsense. The way I see it, we live in a free country and if he wants to come to my small town and try to generate a little tshirt business for himself that he should do so any time. What is your opinion on this senario?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Obviously, he's not doing a good job or people don't like his sunshine personality. It's not always about cost.

We have some competition in our small town (about 7 other well known printers/farm outs within 20 miles with two along the main road, we're pretty rural) and one of our customers said he would pay us MORE just because he didn't need to look at the owner of the other business.

Sometimes we're more, less or right on the nose with competition. We aren't worried, though. We have great loyal customers and see new people every week. Our main advertising is word of mouth and we don't give people a reason to say bad things.

Promote in that town as much as you want, they probably need good service.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If he is grumpy with the locals or treats them like they have to deal with him because he is the only game in town it's no wonder they invited someone else into the area.

Reactions: reximages

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing he said to me on the phone call was he was going to go around the businesses to see where I went. First, I was amazed someone would have such a negative attitude to call me and cuss at me, and, secondly, I thought it would be great if he went around to those few businesses and displayed his attitude because it would backfire on his personality. I really wanted to help him and encourage him but he was so angry he wouldn't let me speak to him much. I agree with your response Kristine and and thank you from Michigan on your comment. Our business does thrive on our customers liking our product and our personal selves. I have so many great customers and loyal customers but I don't sell to everyone I meet. A screenprinter has no exclusive over a given economic area. Good grief.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not understand what " playing in his hands" means? Could you explain? Tell you the truth, I have already done well over $3000 worth in his "area" and I will service my customers. I didn't even know he existed until he called me, but, one of my prospects did mention him so he probably was given my card or phone number from that one prospect. A show of lack of experience and general business savy on his part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds to me like he is a bit nervous about the competition. Consumers have every right to purchase the products THEY want to purchase. If they would rather purchase your shirts than his, so be it. They have every right to.

Seems like he is not a very good salesman.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Find his shop and cold call on every business on his block

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Nobody owns their customers, especially in this day and age of real time global communication.

I ship T-shirts all over the US and have also shipped to Canada, Mexico, England, Spain, and Holland.

Once I did an order of 100 shirts for a customer in Maryland who said the printer she had used in the past was right down the block from her, but she refused to use him again because he was rude to her. I printed 'em here in Colorado and shipped them to her for less money than she was paying him. (And I did a reorder for her the following year...)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I do not understand what " playing in his hands" means? Could you explain?
Playing into your hands: His bad behavior will eventually become obvious to his "territory" and they will turn against him and this will be to your advantage.

Probably a playing card terminology (as in spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs) where the person is putting down cards that you will pick up. Just a guess.

Hope that explains it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.