T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to start a small skateboarding brand and am looking for a good company to order shirts from that I can print on. My issue is I have several wants from the shirt that I'm struggling to find matches for. I understand there is probably no such thing as a perfect shirt but I wanted to take a shirt and see if any of you had any ideas. I'm looking for something that is durable enough for skating, so a 100% cotton shirt preferably on the heavier side, bright pastel type colors (I'd really like a lavender or similar shade of purple) as that is the aesthetic I want to provide, and the one I really don't want to compromise on is the shirts being ethically made and possibly even eco friendly. There are smaller things of course like tearaway tags that I would LIKE but I can get around stuff like that. I've looked in to many brands but the two stand outs I am considering are Royal Apparel and Comfort Colors. Royal Apparel are made in the US, provide an organic cotton option and have many of the colors I would like. They really do seem like my best option but the only issue I have with them is their more colorful shirts are lighter at 4.4 oz fabric. My question for them is would that weight be too light and flimsy for skateboarding where they tear or wear out easily with slips and falls? If not then I may go with them. Comfort colors have the durability and colors that I'd want but I know they are owned by Gildan and they've gotten up to some shady stuff. I can get around the tear away tags and such from them but if the shirts aren't ethically made I would prefer to look elsewhere I think. I can't find any recent information on them or their practices so does anyone know how ethical they are and maybe even environmentally friendly? My main goal with this company is to provide quality to skaters at an affordable price so they can wear gear that represents them without breaking the bank. I would however like to be able to say that we are environmentally friendly and conscious of how our stuff I made. I apologize for the long read and thank you so much to all who take the time out of their day to read.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
have you got prices yet to see if affordable is still on the table?

have you researched how you plan on decorating your garments and whether this meets your 'environmentally friendly and conscious' goals?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve looked into the prices for royal apparel and it definitely would be doable for the prices I planned to have. I haven’t looked that much into comfort colors though. As for the eco friendly stuff I’ve found some ink for screen printing that claims to be eco friendly, but I’ll have to look more into it. I know it wont be possible to be 100% environmentally friendly but I would like to get it where I can. I’m still in school and very new to all this but I’m raft to learn and hopefully actually get into it soon. I’m trying to do as much research as I can.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
if you can get by with htv and 3-4 color designs then sef (france) offers htv that involves no solvents in their process, all water-based

or you can look into airbrushing with non-toxic water-based paints made in the usa
the nice thing with this method is every piece is 'hand-painted' and can easily be made as individual pieces of art on each tee, skaters generally like to think of themselves as originals

i just watched this excellent documentary last night, you might enjoy it
Heavy Water 2015

1 - 4 of 4 Posts