T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! After endless thought and consideration, I decided to NOT go with outside investors to fund my ventures of my new clothing line. I know investing to gain the capital needed to push start any business is one of the main ways "people do it". But I Hate owing people money and I truly believe, with my part time job, saving here and there, and making smart buying decisions, that I can do it by myself. Yes I know start up will be Extremely Slow, but if I do one thing at a time, in my eyes it will work. My question is, has anyone ever successfully gone from $0-$400 startup funds, to a full blown business? And Since I'm still in business plan writing stage, how do I implement such a sporadic (pay check to pay check/ bills) amount of $$$ into my plan when I don't even know how much money I will have? First, yet Long post in this awesome forum.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a tough one, and one of the hardest decisions to make. Going with outside investors can help jumpstart things but at what expense?

As for the $$$ issue, I think you need to reverse your train of thought. Start with the end and work your way back to where you are now. So the question shouldn't be "what can I do with xxx amount of money?" - The question is "what equipment do I need to start up?" Once you have a detailed list of all the items you need to get your business rolling, you price out all of those items and there you have your initial start up cost. For me that came out to roughly $3,500. Don't forget to include not just basic equipment but also things like squeegies, inks, etc.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
$ 400 can only buy you some blank Tees in assorted sizes and colors to start. How can you pay for the designs, screen and print charges. Marketing expenses? Even a decent website with no shopping cart function will cost over $ 1,000. You need to come up with a lot more money to sustain. My average cash flow per month is $ 20,000 and it is limiting my growth. I am not seeing new customers because I don't have enough money to finance new orders.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For 400$, you can get a heat press, (SunIE sells one for 250$, I have it and it's great), and JPSS is 60$ for 100 sheets. Jet Opaque is a little more. If you don't already have a printer, you can get them for as low as around 60$. You can get blank white tees for as low as $1.50, colored ones are around $3. Once you have all that you can start making shirts. You'd also need a website, but if you know how to make one yourself, it's not expensive at all. But do a lot of research first, maybe heat transfers is not the way you want to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't know if you are good at graphic designs. If you have the talent, or can find someone who is good. You can start a design or private label service with little or no money up front (if you do it yourself). A vendor of mine is so good, he only needs to bring a thick binder of artwork (100+) and some screened samples to appointments. They are complicated enough designs that cannot be knocked off right away. If you are doing simple graphics or just message Tees, experienced customers can just remember the ideas during meetings and knock you off without getting any physical samples from you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same problem with the budget ! but believe me this is not the principal problem and not the greatest ! I can advice you to forget making your equipment with a budget of 400$ and I personally don't understand the guys that suggested you this, unless you are a professional screen printer, if not let this work for professional ! the result will be a really good professional product and a lot of saved money and time for you. Buy the way I know a lot of great t shirt brand that also outsorce the print process.
So :
1 If you're a pretty good designer, make design by your self, post them on forum post them on emptees.com, post them on threadless.com and get feed back you will realise if youre designs are good for printing or not, if not buy one, there are a lot of designers willing to "work for food" :))
2 outsorce the printing, there are company that print from 12 t shirts and that is great ! jackprints.com
bandwagonmerch.com Home - Bandwagon Merchandise[/url] from 24 t shirts, make some google and you will find a lot more printer company
3 get a open source ecommerce engine, forget about buing, something good it will cost a lot, and you can modify this opensource site easy, just spend a few days reading tutorials, And its not a tale I've done it my self ! modifying an existing site is not making something from scratch ( this is a bad idea, unless you are a web designer) ! You already have a good design, you just need to customize it ! again make some research .
4 register a company its cheap !
5 an alternative for a big budget will be to start on ebay and on your site at the same time, you will get a free traffic that you will never get on your site from the start, for sure that you will never get the traffic that ebay can give :))
6 also on ebay you can get a lot of things that you will need, as package, tags ..etc And what is important with a low minimum !
7 promote you web site with free methods, there are a lot o them, again, google :), and when you will start getting profit, invest it in advertising, in developing

As I understand you have a job, well that's good, you are not in rush to get 1000000 in the first year :) star today and grow step by step ! and what is good that you will be able to make some investment buy the way.. as you company will grow, and you will know what for those money needs. I found a good proverb a few days ago : “A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.”
You should just start.. make a few .. sell them.. make some analyses.. and go forward !
I wish you success !

·
Registered
96 Posts
:rolleyes:

Food, seriously. That is the most gormless statement I have ever read here.

Why are Graphic Designers so devalued by beginners in this industry.

I suppose the quality of the design will be commensurate to the culinary skills of the client.

Get out of here.
Man.. this is a well known EXPRESSION, from what planet are you ?! The meaning was that you can find a designer for a good price. you can find from 50 to 500 .. what .. you're not agree ?! and sorry.. not everyone that claim that He is a designer,defacto is a good one.. and everybody has his price.

Buy the way .. you are gormless and think before writing !

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have to agree with Andrew here. Not to make light of the value of good designers, but I don't think that was Andrew's point. He was merely saying that if you look around you can find decent designers who will take less than what the going market rate is (for whatever reason). I myself use a designer who takes substantially less than the going market rate. He's working on his own projects and needs some quick cash on the side that he can just do in his spare time at home, that he will get paid right away. Am I devaluing him because he could get more elsewhere if he wanted to? He's happy with the arrangement and so am I, so if everyone's happy what's the problem?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
will work for food, is one funny a$$ quote..my younger bro is a graphic designer. I have seen alot of his work. I have seen some really detailed stuff and some very simple stuff..I personally think that a simple yet detailed design really catches ones eye. Most people that start clothing lines are trend followers, try and be a trend setter...and if i offended anyone with that statement..think about it and if you are still offended think about it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.