T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been using the gx-24 for the past month with no issues and the same settings. Today i was trying to cut some black Thermo-Film and a weird problem occurred.

First i did a cutting test, and the circle peeled along with the square, so i increased the force until i got the desired results. So from 150g/f i went to 210g/f because it was the only setting i was getting good test results with the circle peeling without the square coming along.

After I sent the real design i wanted to cut to the machine. There were a few bent lines i needed to cut in the design but everytime the blade tried to go along the bend of the line and try to cut it, there is this weird cutting marks, and the design is ruined because the arches don't have clean cuts, instead they have jagged cuts in their outline. I'll try to upload some pictures later tonight of the problem. Anyways i wasted alot of material trying to see if this problem would get fixed but nothing happened.

The second problem is that when i readjusted the blade force back down to 150g/f which is the normal setting that is used for Thermo-film, the test cut produces a good result, but only for one problem. The corners of the square are not cut properly and are still stuck to the circle. So the circle would weed out perfectly without the square if only the corners of the square were cut more accurately, but in this case they are not cut enough and are still part of the circle. The sides of the square however are perfectly cut.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, it would be great. Again, i'll try to upload pics tonight because the description is kind of weird.

My settings for cutting thermofilm on the gx-24

Speed: 50cm/s and tried 30cm/s
Offset: .25 and tried .275
Force: 150g/f, 170g/f, 200g/f, and 220g/f

The blade is about a credit card's thickness inside the blade holder.

Here's a video update. I know its a crappy web cam, but still it does the job.

Problem 1 -Arches have stair stepping pattern.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1rhKyHJJcBg[/media]
Problem 2- Test cuts are cut fine on the edges of the square but not on the corners, so the corners are still attached to the circle.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ydRb0OrQOjU[/media]
Thanks for the help.

btw, the arch problem is only seen to occur in the middle of the arch like in the video and disappears in the earlier and later part of the arch. I think that when the gx-24 is cutting the middle its tugging the paper in to make the cut and with this tugging, the thermofilm is experencieng friction with the table i have the cutter on.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Few things could've happened here:
When it cut the arches, was it doing a stairstepping method, or one clean curve?

Stairstepping being like:
....._
.._|
_|

Usually the plotter will make all kinds of noise when it's doing a stairstepping style cut (cause it's cutting 50 million nodes) instead of just a clean curve cut.

I would also say that your blade could be either loose, or damaged. If you can do any kind of cut alignment, then it could just be out of alignment. I do not own a GX24, but I use a SP300, my deductions are based off my experience with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes that's exactly it, its doing stair stepping patterns and when the material gets sucked in as the arches are cut a noise can be heard like the machine is tugging in the material but something is wrong and then the stair stepping patterns are formed. This machine is only 1 month old and has only cut about 4 11x16 designs. I don't know how the blade could be damaged but there is a distinct noise when the arches are being cut as the material is pulled for cutting. The thing is though that the stair stepping pattern is very smooth, its not like a staircase but instead like rolling hills in a valley type of thing. Prior to doing the cutting again after i had seen the problem, i took out the blade and cleaned it a little and repositioned it back in the holder and carefully tightened it in place. After this i performed the cut and it still made the same markings. However, i isolated a arch in the design and only cut that out with the cutter, but a smaller version of the arch. It cut out perfectly. The problem is that it only makes this jagged lines when more material needs to be fed in as the bigger arch is cut.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That sounds like it might be art related then, how was the shape originally made? If you traced it using Adobe's LiveTrace, or Corel's tracing functions, it could generate a really awkard shape that looks ok on screen, but confuses the plotter (because it generates tons of nodes instead of one smooth shape that normally would only be a few nodes total). Mind posting the shape in question?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hrm, I don't see any problems with the shape. I brought the shape into Corel, and exported it to EPS. Unsure if CutStudio has an import, but maybe it will make the difference, otherwise I'd say try bringing the EPS into AI and exporting it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't see any difference in the shape, so maybe its not a software issue. The thing is that as soon as the machine tugs in material a noise is made and the jaggedness of the arches are formed. Nothing in the manual describing the problem. The bottom part of the outline of the arch gets jaggedness but the top part of the outline doesn't. So therefore if it was something software related, both the top and bottom of the arch would show that stair pattern but only the bottom does. Its very confusing. i forgot to mention that the speed of cutting is 50cm/s and the offset is .25

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hopefully someone with some better knowledge of cutstudio can chime in, as I'm also at a loss. Unsure of how to correct the problem, so just trying different workarounds like using Corel instead of Adobe to see if it'd work. I still think it's hanging up on the shape for whatever reason, the noise you are hearing is probably a grinding type noise which I've experienced when cutting things from tracing bitmaps (learned that lesson the hard way), or by cutting text that was way too small. Unsure if it's the pinch rollers that makes the noise or what, but it does sound quite scary like "Uh oh, I might be replacing this soon!"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's a video update. I know its a crappy web cam, but still it does the job.

Problem 1 -Arches have stair stepping pattern.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1rhKyHJJcBg[/media]
Problem 2- Test cuts are cut fine on the edges of the square but not on the corners, so the corners are still attached to the circle.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ydRb0OrQOjU[/media]
Thanks for the help.

btw, the arch problem is only seen to occur in the middle of the arch like in the video and disappears in the earlier and later part of the arch. I think that when the gx-24 is cutting the middle its tugging the paper in to make the cut and with this tugging, the thermofilm is experencieng friction with the table i have the cutter on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts