T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every use the Sim Stitch twill letters and number from Stahl's? I have one Jersey to do for a friend of my neighbor. You know how it is. Someone finds out what you do and all of a sudden you get them at your door " I have this one item I need done"

Anyway, it looks like it would be a good alternative to doing twill name and numbers without having to sew it.
Also, what do they do if you get two colors, layered. Do they sent it to you and you press the foreground color on the background? I assume so.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi!

I've only used the SimStitch product when I attended a Great Garment Graphics seminar this past April which featured all of Stahls' CAD-CUT products.

Attached are samples of two Stahls' SimStitch numbers (one I pressed on a promo tee at the seminar and the other I pulled out of a sample pack tonight to show to you). I have not yet washed the promo tee. I feel these are very nice & shiny for non-sew, heat applied application. The items are completely covered with adhesive on the back for simple heat pressing.

I would not layer them due to the type of fabric it is and it would be bulky. Order some samples!

Note: I linked you to the cached version of the Stahls' SimStitch page, as the live Stahls' site is undergoing maintenance.

Update: The live Stahls' ID Direct site is back online.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics. I believe when you order them from Stahls, you can get them layered because they do ask you for background and foreground color. I believe once you put them on a hockey or baseball jersey they wouldn't feel so bulky.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have used the simstitch and you can layer them. When you order the product you have to specify foreground or background. The look and durablity is great. We had some issues with longer names and smaller sizes (youth) when we tried to do two colors. The only negative is the time it takes to apply. The letters don't lay real flat, the edges catch on the material (due to the simulated stitch that is applied), and they tend to move around with when you lay the teflon on top!! Needless to say we had some trial and error but it still takes a while to lay out each letter and get the spacing correct. You also have to watch your pressure - too much pressure and you will see the glue come through the twill, but not enough pressure and it doesn't adhere very well. So you will need to get some samples to play around with.

But the product looks good and is durable. Just make sure you price it out knowing it's going to take you some time to apply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use these layered all the time on the 100% polyester hockey uniforms we sell. They wash and dry great and after a full season of abuse they still look like they were applied yesterday. To get the alignment perfect, we use the same kind of sticky carrier Stahls uses when they ship precut vinyl names. If you're doing multiples of the same lettering set up, mark up a template on the shiny side of the carrier using a permanent marker and keep reusing it. It stays sticky forever and makes perfect alignment a breeze. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
If i read it correctly, on stahls website it says if you dont sew it that it will frey if thats how you spell it. am i reading something else

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i read it correctly, on stahls website it says if you dont sew it that it will frey if thats how you spell it. am i reading something else
The actual sim stitch numbers and letters is already sewn around the edges and has a permanent adhesive. You may be looking at the pressure sensative poly twill you cut and then press. You then have to sew it to make it permanent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was thinking about using SimStitch but, found another website called realstitch.com. The say that they use real thread arround each letter/number and the cost is 35% less than SimStitch. They sent me some samples and I was very impressed. The only drawback is there is a 3 week lead time.

Has anyone ever used realstitch.com or have another alternative to SimStitch?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts