T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys :)
I have a few questions about silk screen printing
I'm planning to start up my own little business for clothing.
I need some answers to my question before i start doing that though, the questions are.

1) Where can i get emulsion and which is a good brand?
2) What kind of Ink is good?
3) How do i put multiple colors in my image, when going to print?
4) After i slide my squeegee to print on the shirt, can i still use the paint i just used on an another shirt?
5)Where to buy a scoop coder?
6) Where can i get transparency paper?
AND LAST QUESTION!
7) After i print the shirt on, would the image smear or wrinkled after 1 wash? I want the image to not be offed. It will work with screen printing right?
nothing will happen to the image if i wash it?

· Registered
8,278 Posts
There are a lot of questions that you can go to you tube and watch some videos to get answered. If you have never done this and have a class available like ryonet or similar I highly recommend taking one and let that be you first investment in screen printing

· Registered
205 Posts
For what its worth the Ryonet kits all come with screen printing 101 dvd + a few others. Investing in their kits will provide you with everything you need to start up. They were even including a free class with the purchase.

Silkscreeningsupplies.com

Good luck,
Brad

Sent from my PC36100 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
8,278 Posts
I'll second the ryonet equipment. I was already printing and sold my press cause I had a M&R lined up. deal fell though and I was stuck without a press and couldnt fnd anything local enough used with jobs to get done. I bought a silver press 6/2 kit. I watched the DVDs and they really helped stream line some of the procedures I made enough money in a month to pay back all the equiptment and buy my conveyor dryer, M&R sidewinder 6/6 and a few other stuff all used.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
I'd add that if you mention where you're at, someone may have a good suggestion for a local supplier--out here I deal with four 'local' places, depending on what I'm looking for and when I need it. (sometimes shipping stinks :))

I'd also second the great advice to get some hands on training, and reading/viewing material. Someone knowledgeable showing you the ropes will save you a lot of frustration, time, and material...

· Registered
1,827 Posts
Screen Printing Questions!

I have a few questions about silk screen printing

1) Where can i get emulsion and which is a good brand?
2) What kind of Ink is good?
3) How do i put multiple colors in my image, when going to print?
4) After i slide my squeegee to print on the shirt, can i still use the paint i just used on an another shirt?
5)Where to buy a scoop coder?
6) Where can i get transparency paper?
AND LAST QUESTION!
7) After i print the shirt on, would the image smear or wrinkled after 1 wash? I want the image to not be offed. It will work with screen printing right?

nothing will happen to the image if i wash it?
The SGIA (sgia.org) spent years getting the Yellow Pages to change the listings from 'silk screen printing' to just 'screen printing' as silk is no longer used. Polyester is the mesh of choice.

1) Where you live is critical to buying local. Every state has a major distributor that serves textile printers and they have more commercial supplies than art stores.

Autotype starring Neil Bolding
CCI sorry, I don't know anybody at CCI
Chromaline starring the Great Mick Orr
Kiwo starring Dave Dennings
Murakami starring Bob Wellen
Saati starring the Supreme Ross Balfour
Ulano starring Ed Toney

are the major emulsion brands distributed in the USA.

2) Plastisol ink is what you should start with. All commercial textile inks require curing at 300F.

3) A multi-head press or jig to align & register each screen with each color is used in textile printing.

4) Plastisol doesn't dry in the screen so it stays liquid until you cure it.

5&6) An emulsion coater & positive paper is available everywhere emulsion is sold. Get a coater with a thick & thin edge.

7) once you heat cure plastisol ink it is permanent.

Consider getting an existing printer to do your prints. Concentrate on selling. Printers are common, sales are rare.

Buy the book
Go to:* T-Biz Network Store
and buy "How To Print T-Shirts for Fun and Profit!" the textile screen printer's primer since 1979.

· Registered
1,827 Posts
Education removes fear

I do judge.

I judge that I can speed up and reduce trial & error by explaining & guiding uncertain screen printers.

I am ready to answer questions.

If I start a novice with proven results, they are ready to then say what they want to be different.

If you Google "best SBQ emulsion with solvent resistance" you get 1,920 pages to read. No one has time for that.

Reactions: cyclesurgeon

· Registered
110 Posts
All the answers you seek is floating around for you to absorb. But you will not learn just by reading blogs, forums, sites, and watching a lot of youtubes.

Start experimenting at home, it's an easy trade to pick up, but hard to master. Basically, just get your hands dirty today. Check out a little site i put together on the screen printing process.

Tutorials, diy guides and tips for screen printing and garment decoration

good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.