T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing only heat press transfer but I'm looking to expand my capabilities. I'm looking into vinyl transfers (seem to be the most reasonable cost wise) and looked into the Silhouette Cameo.

Does anyone have any feedback on these? I want to do designs onto colored shirts and that's something I can't do with just heat press transfers.

· Registered
6,848 Posts
Are you wanting to cut heat press vinyl?....Like Siser Easy Weed or Spectra Ecofilm?.....Or are you wanting to contour cut around printed ink jet transfer?...

As far as the Silhouette Cameo, in my opinion it is just a "toy"...It only takes narrow material which can be a huge waste and expense in an a very short period time....Also, you can not use it in conjunction with Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator which means you will be very limited in what kind of custom work you can do...

I do my cutting on a GCC Expert 24 and Cut-3000 (rebranded GCC Bengal)....They are not high end machines but made me enough money to pay for themselves in a few weeks....

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you wanting to cut heat press vinyl?....Like Siser Easy Weed or Spectra Ecofilm?.....Or are you wanting to contour cut around printed ink jet transfer?...

As far as the Silhouette Cameo, in my opinion it is just a "toy"...It only takes narrow material which can be a huge waste and expense in an a very short period time....Also, you can not use it in conjunction with Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator which means you will be very limited in what kind of custom work you can do...

I do my cutting on a GCC Expert 24 and Cut-3000 (rebranded GCC Bengal)....They are not high end machines but made me enough money to pay for themselves in a few weeks....
I'm looking to cut heat press vinyl. Currently I can only do white and light colored shirts because I can only do inkjet transfers. I looking to be able to make dark colored shirts as well.

So you don't think this is the best way to go? Money is a concern so getting it new for $270 shipped is what attracted me to it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Ive had my Silhouette Cameo for 2 weeks now and its cutting perfect. I dont see where people are getting the idea that it is just a toy from? Im doing t shirts with great detail (stuff actually smaller than 1mm!) and it cuts perfectly everytime. The size will not be a problem if u are just using it for t shirt printing as it cuts up to 12 inches which is plenty for t shirts. The software is actually pretty good aswell. U can import your designs from things like photoshop and corel etc. I will post pics up soon of the stuff i have done so far. people say here that you get what you pay for but with this, i am getting ALOT more than what i paid for :D

· Registered
408 Posts
I can appreciate that money is a concern, however, with a narrow cutter there is so much waste....Most heat press vinyl is 15" or 20" wide.....
Because of the popularity of the Silhouette and the Cricut machines, many vinyl suppliers are now selling 12" wide materials.

The Silhouette has an optical eye, which you can't get on larger cutters in that price range.

Yes, it's difficult going back & forth between CorelDraw and the Silhouette software, but I'm getting used to it. Funtime just came out with drivers and Winpcsign 2012 is working on them, so THAT problem will be solved very soom.

· Registered
2,346 Posts
Dont be fooled by the toy-ish looks of this little machine because it is actually a real nice machine, it really surprised me because it will cut up to ten foot rolls of vinyl but the big kicker for me was that I was able to literally make a contour cut from opening the box setting it up (which by the way is a breeze) the machine, software and all in about 45 minutes.

· Registered
408 Posts

· Registered
6,848 Posts
I guess it all boils down to the nature of the work being done......I am running 40 copies of a design right now....I would hate to think how long it would take doing singles on an adhesive pad....Although I also use up waste this way, I prefer to not make waste in the 1st place.....

I will continue to say and belive and say that a Silhouette Cameo is a toy.....I think it is a dis-service to lead folks to believe it is practical to use cutter like that on a long term basis commercially....If folks want to disagree, it is a free country.....

· Registered
2,346 Posts
No one said or implied that the cameo is a viable substitution for a commercial machine,, it is however a good starting point for a person getting their feet wet, until you get your hands on one of these machines and work with it then calling it a toy is really blind speculation. So any dis-service would be advising someone on something that one has never used before.

If a person was really worried about waste then they wouldn't have a expert or bengal but rather a pro and above so to have a machine that can cut edge to edge which by the way the cameo is capable of doing also, being made by Graphtec I doubt if they would bother with putting sub par machines on the market.

· Registered
408 Posts
No one said or implied that the cameo is a viable substitution for a commercial machine,, it is however a good starting point for a person getting their feet wet, until you get your hands on one of these machines and work with it then calling it a toy is really blind speculation. So any dis-service would be advising someone on something that one has never used before.

If a person was really worried about waste then they wouldn't have a expert or bengal but rather a pro and above so to have a machine that can cut edge to edge which by the way the cameo is capable of doing also, being made by Graphtec I doubt if they would bother with putting sub par machines on the market.

Plus, if you want to eventually upgrade to a larger machine, the resale value would probably be very good.

I had a US Cutter before and the Silhouette Cameo is much easier to use and also portable. I take it to swap meets and craft shows all of the time.

No, it's not a "Professional" machine, but it does what I need it to do.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.