T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was hoping someone can help I'm starting my own business I have a heat press machine and a inkjet printer now I'm looking into purchasing a vinyl cutter which one will be better Silhouette Cameo 3 or a vinyl cutter what are your thoughts

· Registered
491 Posts
I use a titan 2 28" and love it. Accurate and very quite. go here and look at the list. Stay away from anything on the top. The shop area is a good choice. One thing to consider is scrap you will have. The titan 2 28" will use scrap as small as 3 inches. Any titan2 larger than a 28" will not let you use scrap. And i make a lot off of scrap pieces. They also have a refurbished cutter for 695 that comes with the same warranty as a new one which is a very good deal. check out the site. but its your choice. You get what you pay for is all i say.,and when its time for me to get a new cutter i will get the same one. If you have any questions send me a pm and i will send my number and we can talk on the phone. I will give you tons of advise.

USCutter - Vinyl Cutters, Heat Transfer, Flat Beds, Craft, Vinyl Supplies, Tools

· Registered
859 Posts
Hi I was hoping someone can help I'm starting my own business I have a heat press machine and a inkjet printer now I'm looking into purchasing a vinyl cutter which one will be better Silhouette Cameo 3 or a vinyl cutter what are your thoughts
Buy a good quality brand name plotter and you will never regret it.
Graphtec and Roland are the common brands.

The cheap off brands have NO real resale value.
We have multi pal plotters and have NEVER had a breakdown in close to 20 years. Buy a good brand and you will be able to stand behind your equipment...meaning you will not have to worries about it breaking down in the middle of a job.
We regularly leave 50 yard rolls (48 inch wide) to be cut overnight and come in to the plotter waiting for more.

· Registered
491 Posts
I agree with Buying top brands, But you dont want to sink a couple grand into something and you end up not doing well enough. Start with what you can afford just not the bottom of the barrel cause that will bite you in the A** . Sending you a pm bud

· Registered
491 Posts

Tried sending you a Pm but it wont go thru. Send me an email to [email protected] bud. I have tons of info for you..

· Registered
50 Posts
I will advice you not to buy the silhouette cameo. I did that mistake and I regret it, this is for a very home hobbies projects. Buy a good quality vinyl cutter and a minimum of 24"wide since the most standard rolls of vinyl are 15" and 20" wide the cameo can only take 12" roll if you're lucky to find this size roll they are expensive and very limited on colors more likely you will en up buying 12" x 12" individual sheets or wasting material on a wider roll . On brands I will suggest: Graphtec , Roland , GCC may catch your aye for the price but this are very chip constructed machines . Good luck

· Registered
4,710 Posts
cameo is a great machine, and they hold their resale value very well
still using ours exclusively and its been over 2 years
we pay the same price for vinyl as anybody else, in all the colors of the rainbow
it takes a little more time to prepare and cut, but when you get busier pick up a bigger machine
then you still have the cameo as a backup

this is the sponsored proworld sub-forum,
try not to advertise their competitors here or poach people to their competitors (very disrespectful)

· Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a Cameo 3 last November and love it. My business has been small and out of my home, dependent on heat transfers or bulk screen printing from my printer until now. I needed something for R and D. I saw the Cameo 3 being used in a store that operates on making items for people that is personalized or specialized. A lot depends on what you make, and what size cuts you need. I now buy the HTV by the five or ten yard roll to save on expenses. Once word got around that I had this, word of mouth is getting me business. I designed and am making the community picklball shirts for example. Timing is perfect as it turns out, to buy the Cameo 3. You get the most updated software, Silhouette Studio. I have Corel Draw and the two are compatible to each other. So far, I can't say enough good about the Cameo 3. It's a good place to start. My wife also makes pillows and I can now make some custom designs for her. The on line support and Facebook groups for the Cameo 3 are amazing. Good luck!

Now....if someone can tell me how to fix my heat press, that would be awesome. The pressure spindle came off of the bolt inside the upper platen, and there isn't any support on line that I can find to help me with this correctly.

· Registered
804 Posts
I have a graphtec CE5000-60 Great plotter highly recommend these.

I also have a Cameo. This thing paid for itself almost immediately. I've cut flock with it, cut inkjet transfers, vinyl, glitter ... everything.

I 100% endorse starting out with a Cameo.

· Registered
109 Posts
The Cameo is a great machine. I started out with one and upgraded to a Graphtec after about 18 months. I bought my vinyl on a roll to get it as cheap as possible and just cut it down into sheets. It takes a bit longer than simply feeding a roll through the machine but makes less waste and keeps the costs down.

· Registered
164 Posts
I have the Cameo 3! I must say that is the best solution so far for small business! With Cameo 3 I make my t-shirts,car decals and my 3d shadow boxes (dioramas) ! The only thing that you must do is to learn how to cut ! Every material have different cut settings for the blade and some materials required to mirror the image like Vinyl!i recommend for every material to start with low settings like blade speed and pressure 2 and then test if you good with the settings! If not adjust blade and pressure more!

· Registered
1,690 Posts
I have a Cameo 2 and it works fairly well, however I upgraded to a Silver Bullet about 3 years ago as the the Cameo just couldn't cut it (pardon the pun!). In those 3 years I've never once used the Cameo. The problem was the very poor registration detection for print&cut, and also the poor roller system which often resulted in mat slippage.

If you are only ever planning on kiss-cutting vinyl then I suppose a Cameo would work well for you, but if you plan on more adventurous tasks for your cutter in order to increase profits by breaking into new areas, then a more accurate, more stable, more powerful cutter would be the best option in my opinion.

Also, any cutter that can cut with a mat as well as from rolls is a bonus (this includes the Cameo's) as you can place smaller pieces of vinyl on the mat to reduce wastage, or you can even cut right through workpieces without damaging the cutting strip.

· Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had success printing 12"x12" with their Silhouette Cameo 3? I have an Epson Workforce WF-7210 printer and the Cameo 3. I know the Epson is capable of printing large sizes (up to 13"x19" I think). But I can't get it to work with the Cameo. I've tried the "current printer" setting while printing, but that still puts the print area at 8.5"x11". Any help is great appreciate. I specifically got this printer and the Cameo for the reason of being able to print and cut as large as 12"x12".

Thanks!
Tim

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Firstly, even if you get your Epson to print at 12" width, you won't be able to do a 12" print and cut as your image has to be within the registration marks.

You should be able to set your paper size in the Epson printer driver settings. Is there a Custom setting by any chance? I used to easily be able to print on 12" x 12" card with my Canon Pixma ix6850 and cut it in my Cameo 2.

· Registered
10 Posts
There is a custom setting in the Cameo, but even when I put it on custom and set the size to 12"x12", it only gives me the normal print area. I figured I won't be able to print exact 12"x12", but the 8.5"x11" isn't nearly enough. I'm going to play around with it some more tonight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.