T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have problems with colour after heat pressing - I'm printing 100% white underbase on black shirt.

I printed a logo on a black shirt. Before removing the shirt from the platen for heat pressing the reds were really bright and just what I wanted. After pressing with light pressure 330deg & 90sec release 90sec, the red had become quite dark and the white underbase had broken through to the surface.

I was reading another thread where 'hovering' the shirt was thought to be a good idea. Can I cure the inks simply by hovering and not pressing? If so, what times?

Cheers

John

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cure by hovering. I set the heat press about 1/4" from the shirt and cure for 160 sec. Then I lay teflon sheet on top with light pressure for another 10 sec and my colors stay bright and the shirt washes well.
Thanks for the reply.

What temperature do you use?

· Registered
1,267 Posts
100% white ink needs extra time to dry before printing the cmyk to help keep it from peeking. Red is the color that loses the most underheat IMHO. Hovering first will help, or curing in a properly equipped dryer.

Zilla

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that made all the difference :)

I changed several parameters in my Neorip software. But the biggest change was that I hovered the press @ 350f for 160 secs & then applied a silicone sheet and 'kissed' with the press for 10 secs.

Colours came out great :) and I'm quite pleased with that :D

It's only a simple logo but I wanted to get it right before I send a sample.

Attachments

· Registered
5,758 Posts
well... the pressure really needs to be for a least a minute of every layer of color

the hover is doing a flash (dries that first the layer) then press medium-heavy pressure for one minute (w/release paper) and then after pop up remove the paper let the steam out and turn the paper(release paper around and press again (w/ release paper) for another minute

there is going to be some color changes because its not dripping wet but the durability will be there and the red will last a long time.

invest in a top layer teflon cover this will last longer than your teflon sheet.

then you can just use release paper Here is what we use we honestly get at east 50-60 use PER sheet.

http://colmanandcompany.com/static_store/DTGRPAPER.html

· Registered
2,857 Posts
I think fatkat is talking a silicon sheet for the initial press when the ink is wet. Then maybe a teflon sheet. If u use an uncoated sheet u will pull up the ink. But now that you got great color I would go backwards and increase your final time under pressure to try and get better durability. This area is somewhat of an art form. What fatkat said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.