T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
t shirt guy here wanting to start making signs...I am looking for a start up order.....recommendations for everything I need to have on hand to make signs on windows autos corplast and alumilite

Thanks guys

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the GX 24 and use it for transfers and vinyl right now. I am wanting to put it to use in as many ways as possible.... I just dont know what tools and supplies I will need to have on hand other than the vinyl it's self.

And thanks for the reply

· Registered
928 Posts
Hey what mask do you recommend? I am considering Endura Mask High Tack....any experience with it?
So far I have bought one roll 12" wide of masking tape, from a local supplier. And I don't know what brand it is. It just work Ok. By the way I have not done much signs, in fact just two :rolleyes:, but they came out ok.

· Registered
2,238 Posts
Um why do you want high tack??
I been using medium tack for everything..small or large for a year with no issue..
High tack is recommended when you do stuff like n 1" or smaller..

Lots of xacto knives and blades.. your BFF
52" straight cutting ruler...
rainbow of vinyl and a million little things you will collect over time

· Registered
1,093 Posts
The main thing you should do is buy a couple of good layout books. Sign making is more than just cutting vinyl.

A couple good ones to get you started are:

Mastering Layout - Mike Stevens
Logo Design for Small Business - Dan Antonelli

Please please, anyone wanting to start in this business. Take the time to learn some basic layout skills. The sign industry is a great profession, but like any other profession, to do it well takes knowledge along with the right tools.

· Registered
338 Posts
Application tape....get a big roll from Fellers and have them cut it in different sizes. You get a lot for around $80. You'll be set.

I would suggest a Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl tool as well.

Vinyl, GT5 Intermediate (available from H & H) sample packs and a 50 yard in both black and white. Great bang for the buck.

Tell them Jamey from Garrant Signs sent ya.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Try thinking what wallpaper hangers use. Wall paper application is similar to vinyl application. You can get the "door edge protection" strips of plastic from the auto parts to soften the edges of the metal wall paper knives to make your own large squeegee at a fraction of the cost. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, just go browse around and find a lot of tools that are useful like pinch clamps to hold work steady and small cinch straps to hold banners tight and so on. Good luck.
Terry

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am looking to start a t-shirt printing business and would like to know the best value printer to buy. Would anyone also know the best sites to get good quality and cheap plain t-shirts in all colours and sizes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.