T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I think Ross also had a similar question a few days ago, but I don't think there was an answer.

I'm wearing a FOTL 50/50 shirt now that doesn't have side seams.

I don't know enough about how t-shirts are put together to know why you would need one or how they can put together shirts without them.

I know a couple of our members work for garment factories, so maybe when they see this thread, they can shine some light on the topic :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side seams do not provide better rigidity to the shirts nor does it prevent shrinkage. The difference between shirts with sideseams and the ones without (tubular knit) comes down to style and cost. Tubular knitting also allows the designer/buyer with minimum fabric waste when designing the t-shirts. Tubular knits can cost a little bit more than shirts with sideseams which ultimately comes down to preference. Doesn't it look pretty cool to have no seams on a shirt?

Shrinkage and twisting is caused by the releasing of tension (torque) in the yarn after it reverts back to its natural state. When a yarn is spun, the cotton fibers are strechted. When you wash or steam press a shirt, the water molecues reacts with the fibers from the cotton allowing it to contract to a shorter state.

Have you ever twisted the outter wrapping of a straw until it becomes very stiff? What happens when you add a drop of liquid (water or soda) onto it? It unravels itself back to it's original state right? Similiar concept...multiply that with thousands of cotton fiber.

A lot of the shirts we provide are pre-shrunk - meaning they are prewashed, dryed, then rolled, before they are made into t-shirts. This minimizes the shrinkage during the first wash (which is where you'll see a majority of your shrinkage).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
VariantArt said:
Shrinkage and twisting is caused by the releasing of tension (torque) in the yarn after it reverts back to its natural state. When a yarn is spun, the cotton fibers are strechted. When you wash or steam press a shirt, the water molecues reacts with the fibers from the cotton allowing it to contract to a shorter state.
I have noticed that the shirts with side seams tend to "twist" more than the seamless ones. Or maybe it's because they don't have seams, I don't notice the twisting as much. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK can someone please tell me WHY the expensive shirts have these annoying uncomfortable side seams and the cheap $3 ones have none?? If you know shed some light on it, IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

it makes me so angry. I just want a high quality T shirt with NO SIDE SEAMS...

Varianart I saw how u were like "tubular knits cost more" WHY don't I ever see a high quality shirt like Polo for example with a tubular knit? it makes no sense!! It's VERY frustrating.. if i could find high
quality ones with no side seams id buy all my shirts from there.. Anyone know where I can find some like that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.