T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I down load an AI image from my clipart package into coral draw and try to open it shuts down my coral program. What could be causing this. I'm running Coral draw 12. I save the clipart in my pictures some work fine others just shuts the program down. Any help, Please?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Jimmy:
More than likely you have a file compatibility problem. Corel 12 is now 3 versions down the list. If, your AI file was created with Illustrator that is a late version, they absolutely didn't make it backward compatible to Corel, so it's not going to open it. That's my first thought. Also, are you using Import? It won't work with the Open command under any circumstances. Upgrade to a later version on Corel is the answer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If the AI was too new for your Corel, it wouldn't shut it down, it just wouldn't open the file. I think it could be 2 things:
1. Most likely it's the clipart itself. I don't like typical clipart packages because one, I'm an artist and like to create my own stuff, but two because lots of times the files are crappy and have issues. I've had many a customer who send me an artwork file with clipart that needs to be fixed before they are able to print it.
2. CorelDraw 12. This is the only version of CorelDraw that I do not recommend. I've noticed it has a lot of bugs in it. I've had random shut downs, moving layers doesn't work, text issues, etc... I suggest finding an upgrade to X3, X4, or X5. The cost will be worth it in the end, if you aren't getting frustrated and wasting time trying to make things work.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, only wish I were an artist. Just a novice that prints t-shirts on dtg machine and the clipart packages I use seem to be pretty good. This just started about a couple months ago and it doesn't do it on all files. Thanks again and I'm looking into the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
what are your computers system specs,memory/video card/processor etc
laptop or desktop? And how big is the .ai file...?

Does Corel crash in any other situations?
and have you tried reinstalling Corel?

·
Registered
587 Posts
James.....wayyyyyy kool website!! Very nice! Good work on there too.
Thanks Larry, I appreciate it. Always thought it would be cool to make a fridge as a website and finally did it about a year and a half ago.

To answer about the computer speed, I've run newer CorelDraw's and Illustrator's on older machines with Pentium III's and Win 2000 and it works just fine. To be honest, it's either gotta be something in the art, or a bug with CorelDraw 12.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts