T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Gildan 2000 for the past 3 years. I sell alot of shirts. In that time, the only semi-complaint is that the shirts shrink upward toward the waist. I found this to be true and I'm tired of hearing it from new and repeat customers.

What preshrunk t-shirt shrinks the least...from your experience? Looking for only 100% cotton 6 oz shirts (dark colors if that matters).

From my personal experience: I have owned 2 Champion brand t-shirts. Both retained near the original length and width after many washes. Don't want to use them because of the prominent Champion logo on the sleeve. Otherwise, they're the best I've seen. Beefy Tees are also good but too expensive. Tapout's shirts also hold up pretty good, anyone know what brand they use?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I have had the same experience of slight shrinkage with Gildan shirts. But I've had the same with Port & Co, American Apparel, Fruit of the Loom, Hanes Beefy T, etc. Some of it isn't actually shrinkage - the fibres just lock tighter in the wash, then as you wear the shirt it loosens up again over the course of the day.

My feeling is you'd have the same problem with any brand of blank t-shirts.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have had the same experience of slight shrinkage with Gildan shirts. But I've had the same with Port & Co, American Apparel, Fruit of the Loom, Hanes Beefy T, etc. Some of it isn't actually shrinkage - the fibres just lock tighter in the wash, then as you wear the shirt it loosens up again over the course of the day.

I think Lewis is right about the fiber locking. I get complaints about all brands shrinking too. I get more people wanting 50/50 shirts because they don't shrink. ..... JB

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah, I know what you're saying about the fibers, definitely true, but its the whole losing 1" to 1.5" after multiple washes that gets me. We just started using Port Authority from SanMar as of this month to see what kind of response we get and how well it compares to the Gildan shirts we've been using. I'm in no rush change, but whatever makes a better product is worth looking into.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This has got to be the biggest complaint with my shirts period! Shrinkage in length. I hear that the ALSTYLE AAA 3101 is the real deal.. come a little long and don't shrink much at all, if any. Can anyone confirm that???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I first started this thread, I've primarily stuck to Port & Co. (PC61). Complaints about shrinkage...none. I've also used AAA in that time and I do like how they maintain their length even just slightly more than PC61's but overall, I'm happy with Ports, less shrinkage, take discharge fairly well and free shipping from San Mar aint too bad either. I haven't gone back to Gildan 2000 and will not. I pretty much bought a sample of each brand and washed and dried them a few times and decided PC61 was the best overall for what we're doing (price, discharge printing, shrinkage, number of colors).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts