T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to take orders from retailers before i produce my tshirts and then ship? Or should i print up/produce my tshirts and stock them in my basement so i have them on hand?
Im trying to figure out whats the better way to approach this.
Thanks in advance

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Building inventory without sales is always risky because you may get stuck with unsold shirts. But the advantage is being able to offer immediate delivery, so retailers may make impulse buys. It's probably best to split the difference. Try going out and getting some orders. Then produce extras so you can deliver on your orders plus have additional inventory for new orders and re-orders.

Something else to consider is sales samples. Do you have them? Chances are, retailers will want to see samples before placing an order. So you may need to do a production run before making sales calls anyway.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have my samples yet. Im about to decide on my blanks this week and hopefully find me a good screen printer by next week. I didnt want to make a first production run on a small quantity based on higher pricing. I wouldve rather got better pricing on a larger quantity but i do realize the necessity of having my samples.
I know it varies but whats usually the production turnaround time for a screen printer?
What season are smaller retail stores (specialty/niche/boutique/streetwear) buying in july? Are they buying for fall? (sept/oct) or is their budget more like cash on hand?
Thanks again for all your help!! I really appreciate it!!!

· Registered
57 Posts
Mickey,

You need to invest if you are serious about business. You should have 5 to 10 styles in stock at least, and then you can present new designs in line sheets (catalogs). T-shrits are already cheap to produce and you can sell many of the same designs season after season. I make fashion garments and we don't have it as easy.

One shoulder tops might still sell now, but I might have to close out any inventory for dirty cheap next year. There are thousands of clothing brands out there with fresh designs every week and inventory ready to ship. Don't look like a complete amateur to retailers by having only a few computuer print outs to show and nothing to sell.

Some retailers can wait some can't. Hot Topic gave me 4 weeks to ship, but some boutiques wanted goods asap. It depends.

You can build your business with a small collection, but you still need to look professional, and not like a starving artist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.