T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am starting an online mom/women t-shirt and apparel business and would like to know since I have no background in graphic design, would it be easier for me to learn on PS, Inkscape etc or if I should just hire a GD to work with? The designs would mostly be text based. I just have no idea how to go about finding someone and Ive watched a few videos and just seems very confusing :/. Id rather spend my time marketing etc..helpppp! lol

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Learning to use graphics software doesn't make you a designer. Graphics designers have a special skill set if their own and simply use the software to realise their designs

If you feel you already have some great ideas then Photoshop, Affinity, or the free'.Gimp will serve you well. Vector software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Design, or the free Inkscape may also be needed, especially if you are printing large designs or using a contour cutter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Learning to use graphics software doesn't make you a designer. Graphics designers have a special skill set if their own and simply use the software to realise their designs

If you feel you already have some great ideas then Photoshop, Affinity, or the free'.Gimp will serve you well. Vector software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Design, or the free Inkscape may also be needed, especially if you are printing large designs or using a contour cutter.
Thanks for relying! It would just mainly be text based and i would outsource to a professional screen printer. But even designing words and sayings on InkScape/illustrator seems very complicating :/

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are a number of ways to start, I don't use POD but I understand some have usable tools for you to create designs on their sites. But if you're not enthusiastic about designing, and you're not planning on producing, I'm not really understanding why you want to get into the business. You realize this is not a get rich quick scheme?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a number of ways to start, I don't use POD but I understand some have usable tools for you to create designs on their sites. But if you're not enthusiastic about designing, and you're not planning on producing, I'm not really understanding why you want to get into the business. You realize this is not a get rich quick scheme?
It’s not that I’m not enthusiastic about designing i just don’t get it and want to make sure designs are made/sized/printed correctly & i understand i won’t be making money In the beginning but i love tees and see a lot of the same things and know i can bring something different to the table. I would be doing everything else myself. I’m a sales/marketing person which is also important in this business. I really want to learn but I’ve also been told to hire someone and save time to focus on marketing on social platforms etc. Just decided to reach out on here and see what others thought...

·
Registered
305 Posts
It’s not that I’m not enthusiastic about designing i just don’t get it and want to make sure designs are made/sized/printed correctly & i understand i won’t be making money In the beginning but i love tees and see a lot of the same things and know i can bring something different to the table. I would be doing everything else myself. I’m a sales/marketing person which is also important in this business. I really want to learn but I’ve also been told to hire someone and save time to focus on marketing on social platforms etc. Just decided to reach out on here and see what others thought...
Ok, fair enough if you feel the passion to pursue your dream. I don't know how much budget you have and your financial responsibilities, but it is one thing to not make money quickly and another to lose money quickly if you don't know what you're doing.

Generally, you are going to use your time and skills to accomplish tasks, or you are going to spend money. Design, production, marketing, websites, ...for starters.

Just as an example, I'm a noob myself, but of the last 4 things I've mentioned I'm at least beyond beginner on two, and at least intermediate on two, and additionally have strong overall business experience and skills. Progress has been slow, steady, BUT very low budget. Maybe I'm trying to do TOO MUCH myself, but in my case my budget is tight and I'm a fast and motivated learner. Everyone is different and YMMV.

Unless you have deep pockets to play with, or ALREADY have an ecommerce website waiting for products, I would suggest you search for a POD to start with where you can create designs on their website. Your upside may be throttled, but your downside is limited as well. You can later break out on your own with success.

Also, it is one thing to express an idea for a tee to a designer, it's another to translate that consistently and economically into great designs, and rely on that process as the basis of your whole brand/company, IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, fair enough if you feel the passion to pursue your dream. I don't know how much budget you have and your financial responsibilities, but it is one thing to not make money quickly and another to lose money quickly if you don't know what you're doing.

Generally, you are going to use your time and skills to accomplish tasks, or you are going to spend money. Design, production, marketing, websites, ...for starters.

Just as an example, I'm a noob myself, but of the last 4 things I've mentioned I'm at least beyond beginner on two, and at least intermediate on two, and additionally have strong overall business experience and skills. Progress has been slow, steady, BUT very low budget. Maybe I'm trying to do TOO MUCH myself, but in my case my budget is tight and I'm a fast and motivated learner. Everyone is different and YMMV.

Unless you have deep pockets to play with, or ALREADY have an ecommerce website waiting for products, I would suggest you search for a POD to start with where you can create designs on their website. Your upside may be throttled, but your downside is limited as well. You can later break out on your own with success.

Also, it is one thing to express an idea for a tee to a designer, it's another to translate that consistently and economically into great designs, and rely on that process as the basis of your whole brand/company, IMHO.
Yea i have a lot of time to put in and try to learn to do my own designs that way i don’t have to wait around. I just dk if it matters whether i use illustrator,Inkscape ? This one girl that does tees as well says she uses photoshop (idk her just saw a q&a on ig)but then i thought it has to be vector image not rastor or is there a way to convert it?

I don’t want to do pod i would like to fulfill my own orders, use my own packaging etc .& fortunately, I’m a sahm so financially i can take the risk as i have funds saved for it. Atleast i would like to say i tried. & have u launched your business already? It doesn’t matter if your progress is slow as long as u do it right :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yea i have a lot of time to put in and try to learn to do my own designs that way i don’t have to wait around. I just dk if it matters whether i use illustrator,Inkscape ? This one girl that does tees as well says she uses photoshop (idk her just saw a q&a on ig)but then i thought it has to be vector image not rastor or is there a way to convert it?
I'm really not the one to answer all your questions, as it is not a simple discussion, there are various considerations in choosing and I am far from an expert. Personally I use both Gimp and Inkscape and am satisfied - free and more features than I need, but not as easy to use as other options.

have u launched your business already? It doesn’t matter if your progress is slow as long as u do it right :)
I've been doing eBay for a year and just launched my website a couple of weeks ago. I know what I have to do to grow, it's just too much to all do quickly. I don't have any fixed costs that can sink me, so I feel it's all only a matter of when, not if.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
if you are starting from scratch, i would recommend affinity
this is a hybrid program offering both raster (photoshop/gimp) and vector (illustrator/inkscape)
you buy the whole program once for $50, no monthly fees and will do everything you probably will ever need for designing

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
... Ive watched a few videos and just seems very confusing :/. Id rather spend my time marketing etc..helpppp! lol
I think you've answered your own question here. If you don't have the time toi invest in learning graphic design concepts and applying them using suitable software then I'd ssy yes, you do need to hire a graphic designer.

Make no mistake, graphic design software, whether vector or raster, is by its very nature complicated and requires a certain mindset and determination to achieve acceptable results. If you arr planning to open your shop in 2021 say, then you should have spent all of 2020 learning.

Sorry for being so negative but if you want to sell your oen designs then you need to be very proficient in a number of fields. Maybe take a course in graphic design THEN you will be in a much better position to decide what software YOU need to achieve your desires. Just owning Photoshop or Illustrator does not make anyone a graphic designer and I have seen countless products on the market that I wouldn't give awayy, never mind try to sell!

·
Registered
979 Posts
There have been some people who have joined the forum after putting in a big investment only to find that NOBODY was buying their stuff. I mean, it's only human nature to think that your design will be desired by the masses. But then when they're not actually willing to PAY for it, it comes as a big shock to both the psyche and the pocket book.

So I'm going to be on the side of those who are recommending POD because that way you are losing nothing. 0 investment until you find out what will actually sell. Then buy truckloads of what sells and do what you want to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you are starting from scratch, i would recommend affinity
this is a hybrid program offering both raster (photoshop/gimp) and vector (illustrator/inkscape)
you buy the whole program once for $50, no monthly fees and will do everything you probably will ever need for designing
Ok thank you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There have been some people who have joined the forum after putting in a big investment only to find that NOBODY was buying their stuff. I mean, it's only human nature to think that your design will be desired by the masses. But then when they're not actually willing to PAY for it, it comes as a big shock to both the psyche and the pocket book.

So I'm going to be on the side of those who are recommending POD because that way you are losing nothing. 0 investment until you find out what will actually sell. Then buy truckloads of what sells and do what you want to do.
Thanks for advice!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the beginning, it seems to me, you need to hire a person so that he can teach you all life hacks if you do not really understand this topic. And then you can already try to do something yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Unless you have deep pockets to play with, or ALREADY have an eCommerce website waiting for products, I would suggest you search for a POD to start with where you can create designs on their website. Your upside may be throttled, but your downside is limited as well. You can later break out on your own with success.

Lack of funding or personal budgeting can help you value and prioritize your goals. I recently read a cool book That Was Then This Is Now Summary | FreebookSummary on transforming your time into money, but it doesn't work the other way around. Time management helps save money and other resources. We often think at scale in micromanagement moments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts