T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lucked into a 6 color, 4 station silkscreen press for $500 just about a week before I got laid off from my day job. So, I'm now in the silkscreening business full time. I'm getting all my equipment together and I'm nearly ready to get rolling. Now I'm wondering is I should also get a low end heat press for low quantity and specialty stuff. So my question to all of you who also do silkscreening... Do you find a good deal of work come your way that doesn't justify silkscreening? Do you think I'll find myself turning away work if I don't have a heat press?

I can see two main reasons having one makes sense. Low quantity/specialty jobs that make more sense on transfers than on silkscreening, and vinyl lettering and numbering for sports jerseys.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

· Registered
386 Posts
First of all, great deal on the press, good for you! I would very much agree with the idea of a heat press. I started off just screen printing and found that I was either turning away small orders or not making money on them. Once I bought a heat press and a small vinyl cutter, I can take on the smallest order and make a profit. Best of success to you.

Sent from my HD2 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
285 Posts
I bought the cheapie from Ebay. Then a year later I was able to upgrade as I found a great deal on an Air HIX 16x20. The cheapie from Ebay was a piece of junk. Cold and hot all at the same time. I campaign against them whenever possible. Honestly....I just tossed that one once I got the big one. I always say that if you have the time you can find a great deal on anything. I am living proof...it just takes time.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on what I'll be doing, sound like a heat press (at least a low end one) is a must...other wise I'll miss out of ton of team sports stuff, not to mention all the people who call me wanting a full color image but only want 10 shirts. :)

· Registered
105 Posts
Team stuff sounds like either vinyl-cutter and heat press stuff or that for names and numbers on the back and screen printed team-name/city for the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.