T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of buying a automatic press. We are currently running two manuals and still falling behind, so we are overdue.

We have a few different options.

1. Buy new and go for a 8 station 6 color press. Looking between the Anatol Horizon and the Diamondback from M & R.

2. Buy used. We have the option of buying a 10/12 M & R sportsman.

I have never even worked on an auto so I am thinking of going with the new press. If I had some experience and knew more of the workings of the Auto I may buy used, but if something went wrong I wouldn't know where to start.

So this is my problem. Both options are going to be about the same price. How difficult is working on an auto? What are the main problems that go wrong?

Looking to decide in about 6 months.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Mr. Tee, theres 2 reasons used machines are out there. The company closes or they upgrade. M&R makes a good press and there are a lot of techs that work on them. Check with you Ink supplier to see if they have a tech. We have been in business for over 20 yers and the only new press bought was a manual. We now print over 20K shirts a mouth, all using used presses.
Good Luck, John

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll be calling around for techs to see what it would cost to break down and set back up in my shop.

Anything I should be looking into that goes with the auto besides the air compressor and chiller?

· Registered
99 Posts
Make sure that you check the press for water in the airlines. It is crazy how many presses you see with bad values, and air cylinders because the chiller doesnt work properly. Make sure you check it out before you buy, If you see a milky substance in the regulator be careful. Hope this helps.

· Registered
383 Posts
2-3 years ago I worked in a shop with an anatol vindicator. The main internal computer stopped working for whatever reason. After many hours on a phone they flew in a tech, who was very young and didn't seem to confident as to how to fix it. After a few days of paying for the tech (including travel) The machine was fixed. I don't believe it should have taken as long as it did. So overall from our experience the tech support was not up to par in my opinion. It was a great machine but I really enjoy working on m&r autos. Overall it comes down to tech support.

· Registered
80 Posts
Never buy sight unseen. Watch it in production, spend a whole day at least watching multiple jobs being set up and tore down. If they wont let you in to see it there is a reason why, if they tell you its already tore down and crated up then I would pass. There are some great deals out there but there are more bad ones that people are just tired of dealing with. Sometimes your buying someone elses headaches. Remember if its too good to be true then it probably is.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Ed, I see where your coming from but...We bought a 8 color 10 station press for $5000. It was from a leasing company and was in storage. When we paid the storage and a Tech to set it up we spent maybe $10K. Has been running now about 5 years with little service required other than regular greasing.

· Banned
131 Posts
As you ALL may be aware Spider Machines deals with ALL aspects of the machinery business (new, refurb, used, or even dead)

My advice is to make a friend with a machine tech (I list'em on my website)

Once you build a relationship with a Tech you should be more comfortable in making your decision whether it be new, refurb, used, or even dead ;-)

Hope this helps :-?

Note: in an effort of disclosure SpiderMachines has a very tight relationship with Printex Group USA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.