T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference? Doeesn't a cart thru ecommerce still take a cut like paypal? Can you use Zen Cart without SSL? GoDaddy seems to charge a lot for a merchant account with SSL? Confused??? :confused:

· Registered
3 Posts
It depends on what kind of cart you get, and other variables. But mainly, people choose to use a cart vs. paypal because paypal doesn't give as much as a professional presentation as a cart. If you are interested in charging credit cards, start looking for merchant accounts and the percentages visa, mastercard, and other cc's charge. They are also called payment gateways.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on what kind of cart you get, and other variables. But mainly, people choose to use a cart vs. paypal because paypal doesn't give as much as a professional presentation as a cart. If you are interested in charging credit cards, start looking for merchant accounts and the percentages visa, mastercard, and other cc's charge. They are also called payment gateways.
Who do you recommend for payment gateways.....I'm using Zen Cart right now....

· Premium Member
13,203 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
All payment gateways charge fees but some charge more than others. Some offer better service. I have a friend using Worldpay which he thinks is great, but I thought they charged far to much. Another friend uses eWay in Australia and for that market to much again. Personally for the small amount I sell online Paypal is satisfactory....but I am not recommending them.

· Registered
25 Posts
There is nothing wrong with PayPal Website Payments Standard. If you prefer to integrate everything you'll need to make sure you get 4 things in addition to a shopping cart:

1. A merchant account.
2. A payment gateway.
3. SSL certificate.
4. PCI compliant hosting.

People don't realize the cost to obtain all of these things and often skip 4. Visa and MasterCard agreements incorporate PCI compliance. If you were not compliant and your website was breached you would be responsible for all financial damages (unauthorized purchases, reissuing cards to those compromised etc.).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.